Thread: Why is Aircrack-ng able to read and use a .lst file that Leafpad couldn't?

Why is Aircrack-ng able to read and use a .lst file that Leafpad couldn't?

To make myself a little more clear: I tried opening a .lst file (password list) in Kali Linux. The system was struggling to handle it and Leafpad didn't even start, but I noticed a significant performance difference. I ended up just hard rebooting.

When I open the password list with Aircrack-ng to crack a password, Aircrack-ng is able to use the password list just fine.

What makes Aircrack-ng more suitable to handle this large lst file without significantly impacting my laptop's performance? Is it the way Aircrack-ng reads the lst file?

Quote Originally Posted by McCallum View Post
    To make myself a little more clear: I tried opening a .lst file (password list) in Kali Linux. The system was struggling to handle it and Leafpad didn't even start, but I noticed a significant performance difference. I ended up just hard rebooting.

When I open the password list with Aircrack-ng to crack a password, Aircrack-ng is able to use the password list just fine.

What makes Aircrack-ng more suitable to handle this large lst file without significantly impacting my laptop's performance? Is it the way Aircrack-ng reads the lst file?
    i encountered the same situation when compiling gigabyte dictionaries using crunch...leafpad and geditor (in backtrack) took some time to load (sometimes your system freezes) and you need to wait for the application to the output data...but what i notice is that retrieving/viewing possible passwords from a wpa dictionary is LITTLE faster in a terminal..i use the "vim" command to see the passwords in my dictionaries in a terminal
    for very large dictionary i usually split the file into equal size using the "split" command so it would be easier
    Last edited by repzeroworld; 2014-05-26 at 18:12.

Thanks for your reply repzeroworld. I asked the same question over at Unix Stack Exchange and got this answer: http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/131860/68511

Great to know!

Quote Originally Posted by McCallum View Post
    Thanks for your reply repzeroworld. I asked the same question over at Unix Stack Exchange and got this answer: http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/131860/68511

Great to know!
    Wonderful Job in trying to get the missing clues! Now I am now convinced..i was thinking along this line but wasn't sure if this was the case