Thread: Hard Drive Install Problems with kali 1.07

Hard Drive Install Problems with kali 1.07

Musket Teams have successfully installed kali-linux-1.0.7-i386 to persistent usb pendrives and tested the functionality of aircrack-ng,mdk3,reaver etc. There were no major issues.

However we have attempted to complete a Harddrive install on three(3) different computers. In every case the install process froze when arriving at:

Detect network hardware.

We used two(2) different sources for the hardrive install and these sources successfully installed functioning pen drives but were unable to complete the Hard Drive process.

We tried graphical install and install, both stalled at the point as indicated above on all computers.

We then installed Kali 1.05 and 1.06 to the same harddrives with no problems.

MTA/B

Our Team loaded Kali 1.07 thru VM ware on one computer and a HD install on a second HP computer easily. Most of our install failures were with Samsung computers. We currently think the problem is in the pci.id file in the 1.07 package as the 1.05 and 1,06 versions load.

However regardless of where the problem might be! AND before you remove your old HD install and write in kali-linux 1.07.

We suggest you do a dummy run and see if you can get past the Detect network hardware page. If the test run is successful you can terminate the install before you partition the disk, remove your old install and run the install for kali-linux 1.07 again.
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2014-05-29 at 00:55.

A solution was found in old linux forums,

1. Run kali-linux as a live install from a usb drive or cd

When Boot menu appears select live(686-pae)

2. Go to Applications(upper left-hand corner of screen)

3. In drop-down menu click System Tools

4. In the next drop-down menu Click on Install Kali-linux

5. Work thru the menus as kali-installs

Have fun with 1.07

MTB

Hi,

Normal hard disc Installation as stand alone or with win 7 does not work with 1.06 and of course 1.07. Your suggestion of installtion is okay, but it can not load the bootloader grub-pc. after installation itried unsucessfully load with 'apt-get install grub-pc' the same error repeated . is there simple way to load the kali 1.06/07. why the developers causes the problem in simple loading? simple loading hangs with network sensor and hangs forever

kartic_iyver

Thank you for correcting us, we were just going to say the same thing in part. We wanted to backup our Samsung XP dual boot before we ran the entire install. As you note when we got to the boot loader it failed. However we have loaded XP dual boot 1.07 on two (2) different computers both HP with no problems. So this inability to do a dualboot HD install is a case by case affair. We still suggest you run a test with graphical install as we note above. The bootloader problem only occured when we tried to load from live.
    And again thanks!!

MTA

I do not use windows or any other OS I simply use Kali Linux and before that backtrack. Give a patch for stand alone kali linux instead of down loading the full version Downloading is expensive

Patch for continue from hanging on Network dedution
    or
    patch for graphical installation

Wine has to to include win 7 also otherwise it is becoming outdated
    Thanks

I have had similar issues installing to a dedicated hard disk.
    The installation fails at various stages (system install, networking, and bootloader) when attempting a graphical install. Installing from a live usb allows the installation to get as far as installing the bootloader but grub does not install.

I installed LILO rather than GRUB with success using a live usb. Tonight I'll try a fresh install and chroot into the disk to add grub.

Quote Originally Posted by kartic_iyer View Post
    I do not use windows or any other OS I simply use Kali Linux and before that backtrack. Give a patch for stand alone kali linux instead of down loading the full version Downloading is expensive

Patch for continue from hanging on Network dedution
    or
    patch for graphical installation

Wine has to to include win 7 also otherwise it is becoming outdated
    Thanks
    take a peek here: http://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-1-0-7-released/

apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    # If you've just updated your kernel, then:
    reboot

hope this helps.

I had success with the following;

1. format the hard disk to ext2 before installing
    2. boot a live usb
    3. install from drop down menu
    4. use entire disk when partitioning
    5. if the bootloader fails to install chroot into the disk and install manually;

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...arget-quot-Fix

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    take a peek here: http://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-1-0-7-released/

apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    # If you've just updated your kernel, then:
    reboot

hope this helps.
    Well this seems to a known fact, suppose I directly want to install 1.07 sensing network fails from 1.06 and same for 1.07. I am downloading in low spped and dist-upgrade will take 1 full day. I am having dell inspirom n 15. The same cd i went and tested on aanother laptop it goes tjhrough smooth In my case I just tested 1.05 it installs sense the network. but 1.06 onwards i have to install by upgrade. that is cumbersome or expensive in india. why it hangs while testing network for dhcp, it is funny. can anybody explain