Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: apt-get dist-upgrade not working.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2014-May
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2

    apt-get dist-upgrade not working.

    i cant get dist-upgrade working. i am using kali 1.0.6 amd64 with multi libs.

    Code:
    root@kalibox:/home/ville# apt-get update
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates Release.gpg
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali Release.gpg
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates Release
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali Release           
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main Sources
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/main Sources     
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib Sources            
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/non-free Sources                       
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free Sources
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/contrib Sources  
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main amd64 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/main amd64 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/non-free amd64 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free amd64 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/contrib amd64 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main i386 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/main i386 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib i386 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/non-free i386 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free i386 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/contrib i386 Packages
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib Translation-en_US
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/contrib Translation-en_US
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib Translation-en
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/contrib Translation-en
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main Translation-en_US
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/main Translation-en_US
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/main Translation-en
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main Translation-en
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/non-free Translation-en_US
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free Translation-en_US
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/non-free Translation-en
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free Translation-en
    Reading package lists... Done
    root@kalibox:/home/ville# apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    root@kalibox:/home/ville#
    here is my sources:

    Code:
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    anyone with solution, hints, advice?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    2013-Dec
    Posts
    8

    apt-get upgrade not working

    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
    i cant get dist-upgrade working. i am using kali 1.0.6 amd64 with multi libs.

    Code:
    root@kalibox:/home/ville# apt-get update
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates Release.gpg
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali Release.gpg
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates Release
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali Release           
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main Sources
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/main Sources     
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib Sources            
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/non-free Sources                       
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free Sources
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/contrib Sources  
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main amd64 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/main amd64 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/non-free amd64 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free amd64 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/contrib amd64 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main i386 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/main i386 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib i386 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/non-free i386 Packages
    Hit http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free i386 Packages
    Hit http://http.kali.org kali/contrib i386 Packages
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib Translation-en_US
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/contrib Translation-en_US
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/contrib Translation-en
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/contrib Translation-en
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main Translation-en_US
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/main Translation-en_US
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/main Translation-en
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/main Translation-en
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/non-free Translation-en_US
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free Translation-en_US
    Ign http://http.kali.org kali/non-free Translation-en
    Ign http://security.kali.org kali/updates/non-free Translation-en
    Reading package lists... Done
    root@kalibox:/home/ville# apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    root@kalibox:/home/ville#
    here is my sources:

    Code:
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    anyone with solution, hints, advice?
    My normal upgrade is failing today also
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    metasploit metasploit-framework set yersinia
    4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 245 MB/287 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 14.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Err http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali/main yersinia i386 0.7.3-1kali1
    404 Not Found
    Err http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali/main metasploit-framework i386 4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0
    404 Not Found
    Err http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali/non-free metasploit i386 4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0
    404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/...kali1_i386.deb 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/...kali0_i386.deb 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/non-f...kali0_i386.deb 404 Not Found
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

    My sources.list file this

    #Regular repositories
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security/ kali/updates main contrib non-free
    # deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

    #Source repositories
    # deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali main non-free contrib
    # deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security/ kali/updates main contrib non-free

    #Bleeding Edge repositories
    deb http://repo.kali.org/kali/ kali-bleeding-edge main

  3. #3
    Join Date
    2013-Dec
    Posts
    8
    I changed my http.kali.org to repo.kali.org and all my updates downloaded applied. Go figure ....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    2014-May
    Posts
    2
    Same thing here, today doing apt-get update, apt-get upgrade:

    Code:
    Err http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali/main yersinia i386 0.7.3-1kali1  404  Not Found
    Err http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali/main metasploit-framework i386 4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0  404  Not Found
    Err http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali/non-free metasploit i386 4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0  404  Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/y/yersinia/yersinia_0.7.3-1kali1_i386.deb  404  Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/m/metasploit-framework/metasploit-framework_4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0_i386.deb  404  Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/non-free/m/metasploit/metasploit_4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0_i386.deb  404  Not Found
    My sources.list:

    Code:
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    
    ## Security updates
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    So my apt is pretty locked up until this can be resolved, I'd rather not have to install metasploit from git instead, that would be dumb.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2013-Dec
    Posts
    6
    me too. I tried running the --fix-missing with apt-get upgrade but did still the same result. There is a chromium update also. Anybody else getting the same error messages.

    Regards
    Nahas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    2014-May
    Posts
    1

    Some Kali Mirrors Not Updated

    It appears that not all mirrors have been updated as of yet. To temporarily get around this issue, visit http://docs.kali.org/kali-support/kali-linux-mirrors, follow their links, choose the desired mirror, then edit your sources.list file appropriately:

    sources.list:
    Code:
    #deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb http://mirror.gawsolutions.us/kali kali main non-free contrib
    #deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://mirror.gawsolutions.us/kali kali main non-free contrib
    
    ## Security updates
    #deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://mirror.gawsolutions.us/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    Next, perform your normal updating mantra:

    Code:
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get [-y] upgrade
    # apt-get dist-upgrade   # exec this with caution (kernels & other pkgs may be installed; might break your distro)
    Enjoy!

    c.jackal

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2014-May
    Posts
    3
    I am having the same issue. But looking in the archives I see Meta has 21st version and even trying to run that through apt-get I still am not able to update date Metasploit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    2014-Apr
    Posts
    3
    I've got 1.0.7 running and I have the same problem. My repositories are the same with the exception of the Bleeding Edge repos. Exact same 4 packages that are failing. I've tried apt-get clean/apt-get update/aptitude clean & aptitude update/dpkg --configure -a...nothing seems to work.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2013-Dec
    Posts
    6
    Now the updates are working fine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    2014-May
    Posts
    2
    @cjackal that worked for me, thank you very much!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    2014-Jun
    Posts
    1
    I had the same problem for days. I right clicked my network manager and found my netoworking was disabled. Hope this helps you guys too.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by box2 View Post
    Same thing here, today doing apt-get update, apt-get upgrade:

    Code:
    Err http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali/main yersinia i386 0.7.3-1kali1  404  Not Found
    Err http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali/main metasploit-framework i386 4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0  404  Not Found
    Err http://http.kali.org/kali/ kali/non-free metasploit i386 4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0  404  Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/y/yersinia/yersinia_0.7.3-1kali1_i386.deb  404  Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/m/metasploit-framework/metasploit-framework_4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0_i386.deb  404  Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/non-free/m/metasploit/metasploit_4.9.2-2014052801-1kali0_i386.deb  404  Not Found
    There was a stale repo that was causing the issues. This was fixed over the weekend.
    Please run 'apt-get update' and try again.
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

    Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

    Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

  13. #13
    Join Date
    2013-Mar
    Posts
    2

    apt-get dist-upgrade error packages held back due to dependencies

    I am having issues with apt-get dist-upgrade for the past two days.

    Error:
    Code:
    root@linux:/etc/apt# apt-get dist-upgrade 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
      kali-linux-all kali-linux-pwtools kali-linux-web
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
    If I try to install the 3 packages manually I get:

    Code:
    apt-get install kali-linux-all kali-linux-pwtools kali-linux-web
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:
    
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     kali-linux-all : Depends: fgdump but it is not installable
                      Depends: halberd but it is not installable
     kali-linux-pwtools : Depends: fgdump but it is not installable
     kali-linux-web : Depends: halberd but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    Sources list:
    Code:
    ## Original source lines
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    
    ##  Security updates
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mtibbett67 View Post
    I am having issues with apt-get dist-upgrade for the past two days.

    Error:
    Code:
    root@linux:/etc/apt# apt-get dist-upgrade 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
      kali-linux-all kali-linux-pwtools kali-linux-web
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
    If I try to install the 3 packages manually I get:

    Code:
    apt-get install kali-linux-all kali-linux-pwtools kali-linux-web
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:
    
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     kali-linux-all : Depends: fgdump but it is not installable
                      Depends: halberd but it is not installable
     kali-linux-pwtools : Depends: fgdump but it is not installable
     kali-linux-web : Depends: halberd but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    Sources list:
    Code:
    ## Original source lines
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    
    ##  Security updates
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free
    Known bug: https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=1389#c2065

    Update has been pushed out. Will soon be in the repos.
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

    Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

    Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2016-02-09, 00:00
  2. upgrading to kali 1.0.5 not working with apt-get dist-upgrade
    By bahha in forum TroubleShooting Archive
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2014-02-04, 16:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •