Thread: Installing kali in virtualbox

Exclamation Installing kali linux 1.0.6 mini iso 32bit

I am running xp sp3 32bit(Host) and I have downloaded the kali linux 1.0.6 mini iso.. The setup went fine. But at the point where I can choose additional pakages to be installed ( desktop environment; penetration tools.) I've deselected the 3 that was already selected when that screen showed; I kept the desktop environment checked and went through with the install, it downloaded like 1204 files.. And after that I got to the point of installing the Grub MBR.. So, when that finished I got a message telling me to reboot the vm. the vm started up,, decompressed some files.. Now,when my vm starts up I'm in the grub,I login with my passwords successfully but still inside the grub(like a terminal, where is the actual environment?? After some time I typed a command: apt-get install kali.. Then that loaded some stuff and finished ;and rebooted but no change, still just an terminal. I also see that the kali linux 1.0.6 top of the term is now showing 'Kali GNU/ Linux 1.0.7 kali tty1' Can anyone tell me what I did wtrong ? I'm also new to kali. Please help.. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Fred; 2014-06-02 at 17:23.

Ok so I've searched some more about my problem, and didn't find any help or solution.. I've forgot to add in my post, in my vbox when setting up the vm, I chose it as " Debian".. Is that correct ? Some tutorials say that it should be set as " linux 2.6/3.x. Anyway,, I don't know how or what to do to get this VM to start up like it should. it have no desktop environmet,, only a grub.. What to do???

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I am running xp sp3 32bit(Host) and I have downloaded the kali linux 1.0.6 mini iso.. The setup went fine. But at the point where I can choose additional pakages to be installed ( desktop environment; penetration tools.) I've deselected the 3 that was already selected when that screen showed; I kept the desktop environment checked and went through with the install, it downloaded like 1204 files.. And after that I got to the point of installing the Grub MBR.. So, when that finished I got a message telling me to reboot the vm. the vm started up,, decompressed some files.. Now,when my vm starts up I'm in the grub,I login with my passwords successfully but still inside the grub(like a terminal, where is the actual environment?? After some time I typed a command: apt-get install kali.. Then that loaded some stuff and finished ;and rebooted but no change, still just an terminal. I also see that the kali linux 1.0.6 top of the term is now showing 'Kali GNU/ Linux 1.0.7 kali tty1' Can anyone tell me what I did wtrong ? I'm also new to kali. Please help.. Thank you in advance.
    Just to be sure... as you can login.. does the screen say:

grub>

if not, you are not in grub. Seeing you can login i'll take a stab and say you're in bash. For your informtion, grub is a boot manager. Have a read here -> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

If you installed the window manager (the desktop) which is gdm3 on kali, you should be able to start it by typing gdm3

If that fails, I found some guides... I don't have kali installed right now (horrible, I know, right?!) so I can't try them for you. You may be better off installing the non-minimal istall. From what you said it seems you are resonably new to linux, kali is not really new user friendly (I may be wrong and you are a seasoned professional). Maybe consider a more "masses" based distro? That being said, I never did. I always enjoy the hours of troubleshooting when I bung something up

apt-get update
    apt-get install xorg
    startx

or

apt-get install x-window-system-core, gnome-core
    reboot
    startx
    Last edited by staticn0de; 2014-06-03 at 06:49.

Ola.. Yes , when I start the VM, top of screen it display two choices ...1. Debian GNU/Linux. with linux 3.14 kali-686-pae and 2. Is the same but recovery mode... So I pick option 1 and I get 'welcome to Grub' when it starts to decompress it say something bout 'Decompressing kali....Parsing ELF...no relocation..And then line below that,something about 'tsc: Fast TSC collaboration failed',,then it finishes the decompression and load the 'GRUB' I get screen,,' kali GNU/Linux 1.0.7 kali tty1 and bottom of that... 'Kali login'.. So yes, I guess I am in the bash.. *sigh* I did not install the 'gdm3' I typed it and got an error. (Vm offline now so can't give the error msg). So I typed ' apt-get install gnome-core',, that started loading some packages and finished then showed that an additional just over 700mb are required to be downloaded.. And yes, I'm totally new to Linux/kali.. And I've read that kali is not the distro for newbies,, but you know what thrived me to install kali?? I'm interested in it.. Oh, and also read that this might be a Hard way to learn linux.. Well I'm up for it... I also like to spend hours trying to fix my own **** .haha.. Ok,, so you have given me a solution, sofar.. I'm stuck with 'kali bash' if I may dub it as said.. Well man,, I thank you with all I can and really glad someone helped.. I will reply here as soon as I have data and installed the core inside kali.. Hopefully I will be able to use the actual thing.. Many complain bout the mini.. So far I had no trouble(except for me being so stupid) I've downloaded it from the Official site http://kali.org .. Thanks again for the info.. Will be in touch.. Regards Fred.

This is step by step how to fixs or resolves problem Kali GNU/Linux 1.0.7 kali tty1 caused by lost or removed GNOME Desktop Environment

# apt-get update # apt-get install xorg # startx

Note: The steps above need internet connection, so you need to connect your pc to wifi or LAN. Here iam use wifi connection.
    To connect wifi, follow below instructions :
    Okay, I'm going to try and answer your question, even though there is no terminal output included in your question.
    The command ifconfig wlan0 does not turn on your wireless card. It gives you information about your wlan0. To turn on your wireless card, you would enter ifconfig wlan0 up. Although, it's not always wlan0. To find out the name of your wireless card, type iwconfig, and look at the row that has some information in it, not 'no wireless extensions'.
    To be able to run the commands ifconfig wlan0 up, iwconfig wlan0 essid name key password and dhclient wlan0, you need to be root. So, you have to put the word sudo before those commands (unless you're already logged in as root).
    The password in the command iwconfig wlan0 essid name key password should be in hexadecimal. If you want to type the ASCII password, you would use iwconfig wlan0 essid name key sassword.
    The command iwconfig wlan0 essid name key password only works with access points that use WEP as encryption. If the access point uses WPA/WPA2, you'll have to use another method to connect, found here: How do I connect to a WPA wifi network using the command line?
    Also, might I ask, is there a reason why you're trying to connect to a WiFi network through command line? Unless you're experimenting of course. Source: http://askubuntu.com/questions/29425...buntu-terminal
    After you follows step by step above intructions, i am pretty sure that you has login linux in GUI. The last one is you open terminal and type this command
    # apt-get install gnome-core kali-defaults kali-root-login desktop-base
    # reboot

Now your linux boot normally and the problem fixed.