Thread: Laptop shutdown while installing kali (efi install)

Laptop shutdown while installing kali (efi install)

I have lenovo G505s laptop (1TB HDD/8 GB RAM/2 GB graphics/ AMD-A10 processor). I want to install kali 1.0.6 alongside win8 (EFI)

I followed the thread of how to install kali efi way.

I created live usb with RUFUS (so i can add the folder structure /EFI/BOOT and files(BOOTx64.efi and grubx64.efi) in it)

I followed all the instructions as given in the thread and I GOT THE GRUB MENU

Partitions:

1. system reserved partition
    2. efi boot
    3. microsoft reserverd
    4. Windows
    5. another ntfs partition
    6. another ntfs partition
    <Free SPACE of about 150GB>
    9. 20 GB ext4 /
    8. 30GB ext4 /home
    7. 7.2GB swap swap

changes written to harddisk successfully

As progress bar of installing the system reaches around 20% laptop power off.

i have tried this thrice with charger plugged in.

What is the problem? Can anyone suggest something
    Last edited by shahbaz; 2014-06-07 at 08:42.

the problem is not just with kali OS , but with any linux distribution .
    can anyone suggest what possibly is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by shahbaz View Post
    the problem is not just with kali OS , but with any linux distribution .
    can anyone suggest what possibly is the problem?
    Do you notice any extreme heat from your laptop? That's mostly common when you're installing Kali Linux (my laptop does heat up a little bit, but the fan works pretty well). Maybe your fan does not work at all while installing but work well while using Live mode?
    In case the fan does not work, and the laptop is extremely hot. I've read that some people put the laptop in refrigerator to reduce the heat (yeah, it's weird), but there's really nothing we can do besides this.
    You could also try to get an external fan to help it reduce the heat also (though it may not help that much).

The other thing you could try is to merge some of your partitions to make a large partition then try again, maybe partition issues can lead to that, but most likely it's not the problem, don't hope too much on this. Just try it anyway.
    I've tried installing Kali all day in the past 2 days (because I had some problems with EFI), but I only use 1 particular partition (not even SWAP).

One more thing, at the progress bar 20%, it's still in a "Copy" process. Maybe your USB has some problem transfering data (though it should pop up an error, not shutting down)? I don't really know the problem nor how to fix it. But if you want some suggestions, there they are.

Feel free to try those that make sense to you

thank you for suggestions

but the problem was the graphics driver. in switchable graphics mode kali shutsdown without warning. no nomodeset or any boot option van help here.

when i changed the graphics driver to UMA mode in BIOS. All linux distribution work smoothly.

After installation of OS, you can again change the graphics mode after installing correct graphics driver.