Thread: How to EFI install Kali Linux (Beginner Ways)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to EFI install Kali Linux (Beginner Ways)

Hello, I am new to Kali Linux, and I just bought a laptop (Asus N56VJ-DH71) which runs UEFI system (my my, it costs me 2 days because of this).

Anyway, it was hard to install Kali Linux with the EFI system because you encounter some weird errors and you have to fix them manually.

I am going to write a complete guide here (I don't really know much, but I've followed most of the guides on Google and spent 2 days for it. So I might be able to get you out of desperating installing Kali in EFI system).

Installing with Normal ISO Kali file:

Requirements:
    • Internet (Wifi or Cable)
    • USB (4 GBs)
    • Rufus or Win32 Disk Imager (to make bootable USB)
    • EFI system (obviously, if you don't have EFI system, you can just install it normally)
    • 2 hours of your time

1. Download Kali Linux ISO with this link: http://www.kali.org/downloads/

2. Download Rufus or Win32 Disk Imager and make bootable USB with the Kali Linux ISO you just downloaded in step 1. See Picture.

3. Create a folder /EFI/Boot in your USB (You now have some data of Kali Linux in your USB already). See Picture.

4. Download bootx64.efi, MokManager.efi (don't know if this is needed, but I just do it anyway), and grubx64.efi from here: ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/
    then put them into /EFI/Boot folder you created in step 3.

5. Create a file named grub.cfg in /EFI/Boot in your USB with the following contents:
    Note: You can download the file here too: grub.txt. But make sure you put it into /EFI/Boot folder in your USB along with the 3 files in step 4 and change the name to grub.cfg. See Picture.

Code:
    # Config file for GRUB2 - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS
    #
    # Linux Grub
    # -------------------------
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #
    # root=UUID=dc08e5b0-e704-4573-b3f2-cfe41b73e62b persistent

set menu_color_normal=yellow/blue
    set menu_color_highlight=blue/yellow

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0
    set default=0
    set color_normal=yellow/blue

menuentry "Kali - Live Non-persistent" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali
    initrdefi /live/initrd.img
    }

menuentry "Kali - Live Persistent" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali persistence
    }

menuentry "Kali Failsafe" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live config memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal
    }

menuentry "Kali Forensics - No Drive or Swap Mount" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount
    }

menuentry "Kali Graphical Install" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /install/gtk/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/gtk/initrd.gz
    }

menuentry "Kali Text Install" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /install/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
    initrdefi /install/initrd.gz
    }
    You now have the bootable USB that EFI system can recognize it.

6. Disable Secure Boot in BIOS but enable UEFI or EFI Mode (DO NOT USE Legacy/CMS mode).
    See picture

If you're using Windows 8, follow this guide: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows...-8/ta-p/329292 (I know, Windows 8 is god **** weird)
    If you're just using normal Windows 7 or something like that, just press F2 while booting to get to BIOS.

7. You can now see in the Boot section of your BIOS has the Boot Option for your USB. Boot it (anyway you can, if you don't know. Google them a little bit for your computer model, because each BIOS is different, I guess?)
    See picture

Make sure Legacy Mode is turned off, or CMS is turned off.

8. Install your Kali Linux as you see fit, BUT manually set up the Partition like this:
    See picture 1
    See picture 2
    See picture 3

Code:
    Name: Kali Linux (your choice)
    Use as: Ext4 journaling file system
    Mount point: /
    Mount options: Default
    Label: none (you can label it if you want)
    Reserved blocks: 5%
    Typical usage: Standard
    Bootable flag: off
    Then you just need to press "Done setting up the partition" and "Finish partitioning and write changes to disk."
    (Maybe you could set a swap parition and others if you would like. Otherwise, you can just stick with this. I have no idea if it affects anything, but I'm new to Linux.)

8. Follow the installation till you done. If no error occurs, you will be able to see a new Boot Option in your BIOS after you installed Kali Linux.

Happy with your adventure if no error occurs. However, if error of grub-efi failed to install, take a look at below post.

I will write a how-to on installing with Mini Kali Linux in EFI system later. I don't have the files with me right now, gotta change some stuffs on it too. But I can assure you that I'll do it tonight.

If you have any question, or my instructions didn't clear anything. Please ask, I'll try to fix the Instructions and answer some of the questions if I can. But remember, I'm new to Linux.

Thank you for reading the post.

The followings are special thanks for the sources that I've read:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...all-Kali-Linux (posted by bofh28)
    ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ (well, just thanks )
    http://forum.linuxbsdos.com/topic/11...for-kali-linux (who posted this? But thanks )
    http://bootableusb.net/install-windo...e-using-rufus/ (posted by bootable)
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...de-Windows-8-1 (posted by vee9595)
    http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows...-8/ta-p/329292 (posted by dmanh)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rnihton; 2014-06-11 at 01:16. Reason: Missed some information...

ERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    See picture 1
    See picture 2

Here comes the worst part, sigh...
    I've encountered an error that said:
    Code:
    The 'grub-efi' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.
    Don't worry about it, everything has a fix. and I've found it.
    Just continue with the installation WITHOUT boot loader until you're done, however, you won't be able to boot Kali because BIOS doesn't recognize GRUB yet (it's not installed...)
    See picture

Here's how to fix it:

1. Boot your USB again.

2. Go in Kali Live mode.

3. Connect to internet using Wifi or Local Cable.

4. Type this command in (preparation for installing boot-repair):
    Code:
    apt-get install python-software-properties -y
    5. Then create a file "lsb-release" in /etc by typing (preparation for installing boot-repair):
    Code:
    leafpad /etc/lsb-release
    put in the following contents:
    Code:
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04 LTS"
    See picture
    then save it and type this command in Terminal to add repository of boot-repair:
    Code:
    add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
    then update it:
    apt-get update
    6. Install boot-repair using this command:
    Code:
    apt-get install boot-repair -y
    7. After done installing boot-repair, open it either using Applications menu -> System Tools -> Administration or type this command:
    Code:
    boot-repair &
    See picture

8. Choose Advanced Options in boot-repair after it's launched.

9. Leave everything the same, except the Secure Boot in GRUB option (uncheck it).
    See picture

10. Click Apply.

11. It'll repair the GRUB (or install it), if it asks anything, just press OK, Yes, Yes.

12. It'll run a while, then a window will pop up, and it asks you to type some commands in Terminal. Just do as it said. (don't press "Forward" yet!)
    See picture

13. The Terminal will sometime ask you for some more information, just press "Y" everytime (That's what I did, and I have no idea what it asked for LOL)

14. After everything in the Terminal is done, just press Forward, and let boot-repair run for awhile untill it says "Repaired GRUB successfully" or something like that.
    See picture 1
    See picture 2

15. Reboot your computer, go to your BIOS now. You'll see the Boot Option of "debian: ..." something... Move it to the top priority.
    See picture

16. The Grub now has been fixed. You can customize it if you want. (Please Google it <3). But you'll be able to load your Kali Linux now.
    See picture

A few seconds after step 10 i get the message "Please enable a repository containing the [grub2] packages in the software sources of Kali GNU/Linux 2.0 (sda5). Then try again.", what does this mean (very new to linux sorry).

Thank you so much for the tutorial.

I did all the steps, created the USB, created the folder, downloaded the files, disabled secure boot, left UEFI boot unchanged.
    I successfully booted from USB, BUT all I get is the GRUB 2 screen, no options for kali or anything else, I tried the "boot" command but I got an error stating "you need to load the kernel first" can anyone please help?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonz View Post
    Thank you so much for the tutorial.

I did all the steps, created the USB, created the folder, downloaded the files, disabled secure boot, left UEFI boot unchanged.
    I successfully booted from USB, BUT all I get is the GRUB 2 screen, no options for kali or anything else, I tried the "boot" command but I got an error stating "you need to load the kernel first" can anyone please help?
    Am I right in assuming that you haven't installed Kali yet? If so, then did you create the file "grub.cfg" and with its contents stated in Step 5?

However, I've uploaded the file named "grub.txt", you have to change the name to "grub.cfg" in order for it to work.

Hope this helps.

Yes you're right.

Sorry for the idiotic problem I posted here, I formatted the USB and made it bootable again, downloaded the files again, and while making the grub configuration file it hit me, previously I made a .txt file named grub.cfg, so that would be grub.cfg.txt which is a text file, not configuration.

I was able to live boot with no problems, tested my network cards all good, played around with it a little, but I didn't install, it wasn't my intention in the first place, since all the problems I might face + I don't really need it installed, I'm just seeing what I can do with the distro and its tools.

So thank you again for the tutorial, and thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonz View Post
    Yes you're right.

Sorry for the idiotic problem I posted here, I formatted the USB and made it bootable again, downloaded the files again, and while making the grub configuration file it hit me, previously I made a .txt file named grub.cfg, so that would be grub.cfg.txt which is a text file, not configuration.

I was able to live boot with no problems, tested my network cards all good, played around with it a little, but I didn't install, it wasn't my intention in the first place, since all the problems I might face + I don't really need it installed, I'm just seeing what I can do with the distro and its tools.

So thank you again for the tutorial, and thanks for the help
    You're welcome, Xenonz.

Good to hear that you've got it working

I have completed all the steps, was able to create a bootable USB drive and to install Kali. I then used the boot repair because GRUB was not showing when booting for some reasons.

Everything seems to be working fine now but when I boot, I don't see Kali in the Grub menu. I have the two following options in the menu:

Windows UEFI bkpbootmgfw.efi
    Windows Boot UEFI loader

and a bunch of entries for HP BIOS update and HP SystemDiags, but nothing about Kali.

The only step that I modified in your procedure is the grub.cfg file (I couldn't get yours to work so I used the following one from another post).

# /boot/grub/grub.cfg

#
    # Linux Grub
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #

set default="0"

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep
    insmod gzio
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

search --no-floppy --set=root -l 'Kali x86_64'

menuentry "Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode" {
    }

menuentry "Kali - Boot Persistent" {
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali persistence
    }

}

}

What could be the cause of the problem?

Thank you!

hey, i got an error when i tried to install kali linux with USB, i used rufus too, after finished the format and extracting session, the i reboot my computer
    it saids "unknown keyword in configuration file : @", i had already searching, like edit the syslinux.cfg, but it's didn't work, so what can i do to install Kali Linux on my computer please help me.
    Sorry for my bad english

Since the release of 1.0.8, Kali now has EFI support out of the box!
    For more information: http://www.kali.org/news/kali-1-0-8-...-boot-support/
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

11. Quote Originally Posted by g0tmi1k View Post
    Since the release of 1.0.8, Kali now has EFI support out of the box!
    For more information: http://www.kali.org/news/kali-1-0-8-...-boot-support/
    Are you certain of that because I just downloaded the Kali iso about 3 weeks ago and had to set it to Legacy in order to install. Under UEFI it was just hanging on the computer brands logo for minutes on end. What's the solution for someone using a CD with UEFI computer? The CD/DVD works fine, tested. Windows 8 UEFI computer with Kali iso

Quote Originally Posted by Make Kali Great Again View Post
    Are you certain of that because I just downloaded the Kali iso about 3 weeks ago and had to set it to Legacy in order to install. Under UEFI it was just hanging on the computer brands logo for minutes on end. What's the solution for someone using a CD with UEFI computer? The CD/DVD works fine, tested. Windows 8 UEFI computer with Kali iso
    It's because your kali linux must have efi boot files to be recognized by UEFI during boot. If you don't have bootia32.efi and bootx64.efi in your kali image you can't boot in UEFI. Either you should download kali weekly image which is the latest version of kali by offensive security or add those files manually in your bootable USB. Follow this thread how to add them manually though i would still suggest you to use the weekly image.

The guide in this thread is applicable only till kali rolling 2016.2. Later weekly images of kali don't require these things to continue.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-04-05 at 14:53.

13. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    you should download kali weekly image
    What should I do with the legacy Kali OS on my hard drive (that works only under Legacy)? Should I delete the legacy Kali OS or just format the partitions containing it to make way for the new uefi weekly kali install? What's the best way to delete Legacy Kali OS that's on my hard drive?
    Last edited by Make Kali Great Again; 2017-04-08 at 11:13.

What should I do with the legacy Kali OS on my hard drive (that works only under Legacy)? Should I delete the legacy Kali OS or just format the partitions containing it to make way for the new uefi weekly kali install? What's the best way to delete Legacy Kali OS that's on my hard drive?
    You don't have to erase it if you have already installed. Just install grub in your EFI partition because UEFI reads from EFI boot sector. Boot into kali-live (in legacy or in UEFI doesn't matter but if you boot kali live in UEFI again that problem efi boot files are required). Run these commands after booting kali-live:

sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo mount /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo umount /mnt

Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux partition assigned value. Like mine is /dev/sda5
    Replace ** in sudo mount /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition assigned value. Mine is /dev/sda1
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.

Then switch to UEFI after installation of grub.

15. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Either you should download kali weekly image i would still suggest you to use the weekly image.
    Which download from that link do you recommend for an UEFI computer? I would like a full version of Kali on a CD.
    What are differences between KDE, xfce, mate, lxde, sha1sums? Which one should I pick?
    Are the downloads torrents from http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/?
    Last edited by Make Kali Great Again; 2017-04-08 at 11:09.

Which download from that link do you recommend for an UEFI computer? I would like a full version of Kali on a CD.
    What are differences between KDE, xfce, mate, lxde, sha1sums? Which one should I pick?
    Are the downloads torrents from http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/?
    This one kali-linux-2017-W14-amd64.iso ..They should be available for torrents but they are standard http link.

If i start from USB following appears. I can choose from these 3 actions. If i click Continue, nothing happens and iam back into the Boot Manager.
    What does it mean?
    Legacy is disabled, and Secure Boot disabled.

i created folder EFI\Boot\ with BOOTX64.efi, grub.cfg, grubx64.efi, MokManager.efi inside.
    inside my Grub is this:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

#
    # Linux Grub
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0)
    # /dev/sda (hd0)
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3)
    #

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep

# Timeout for menu
    set timeout=5

set default=0

menuentry "Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    }

menuentry "Kali - Boot Persistent" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    }

menuentry "Kali Failsafe" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live config memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal
    }

menuentry "Kali Forensics - No Drive or Swap Mount" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount
    }

set root=(hd0,1)
    }

set root=(hd0,1)
    }

--------------------------------------------------------
    Following appears if i boot from my USB:

Shim UEFI key managment

Continue boot
    Enroll key from disk
    Enroll hash from disk

I think for you fresh install of kali weekly image will be better. Kali weekly image runs in UEFI.

19. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    I think for you fresh install of kali weekly image will be better. Kali weekly image runs in UEFI.
    Thank you, I will follow your suggestion. I'm left wondering though. Which partition were you referring to when to said:
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux partition assigned value. Like mine is /dev/sda5
    I have partitions called: /
    boot, home, opt, ( and swap)
    and I know their sda assigned values

Thank you, I will follow your suggestion. I'm left wondering though. Which partition were you referring to when to said:

I have partitions called: /
    boot, home, opt, ( and swap)
    and I know their sda assigned values
    Next time when you will reinstall kali select the option All files in one partition during the setup.

21. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Next time when you will reinstall kali select the option All files in one partition during the setup.
    So, the code you supplied can't be executed if you have separate partitions? Strictly that? If it can be placed in a separate partition then which one would you recommended from root, home, boot, opt?

Will your code still work for those users who prefer to have separate partitions?
    Last edited by Make Kali Great Again; 2017-04-13 at 21:51.

Will your code still work for those users who prefer to have separate partitions?
    It will still work. All files in one partition is recommended though.

23. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    It will still work. All files in one partition is recommended though.
    I have separate partitions, not all-in-one partition. In addition to Swap, I have separate partitions called:
    boot
    root
    home
    efi system

From what you said below, which one from the above, should be my "sda5" and which one my "sda1"?

Replace ** in sudo mount /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition assigned value. Mine is /dev/sda1
    [/B]
    Last edited by Make Kali Great Again; 2017-04-18 at 13:46.

I have separate partitions, not all-in-one partition. In addition to Swap, I have separate partitions called:
    boot
    root
    home
    efi system

From what you said below, which one from the above, should be my "sda5" and which one my "sda1"?
    Show the output of fdisk -l

25. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Show the output of fdisk -l
    Output of fdisk -l

/dev/sda1 windows recovery environment
    /dev/sda2 260MB EFI System
    /dev/sda3 1000MB boot partition
    /dev/sda4 microsoft reserved
    /dev/sda5 microsoft basic data
    dev/sda6 windows recovery environment
    /dev/sda7 linux file system root
    /dev/sda8 linux file system boot
    /dev/sda9 linux file system swap
    /devsda10 linux file system home

/dev/sda7(*) is your root partition and /dev/sda2(**) is your EFI partition.

{}
    I'm telling you to install kali weekly image instead of doing all this. It will confuse you more. Soon you will get familiar with these commands and then you can troubleshoot such problems in future. Are you a big fan of Mr. Robot tv series?
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-04-19 at 19:31.

28. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Are you a big fan of Mr. Robot tv series?
    No, I am not. I had to google it. I won't be watching it.

I'm telling you to install kali weekly image instead of doing all this. It will confuse you more. Soon you will get familiar with these commands and then you can troubleshoot such problems in future.
    I am ready to execute this code you so thoughtfully designed. Let's not waste it as we have worked for some time together on this.Another benefit is it will prevent Mr Robot fanboys from asking you same question in future.

No, I am not. I had to google it. I won't be watching it.

I am ready to execute this code you so thoughtfully designed. Let's not waste it as we have worked for some time together on this.Another benefit is it will prevent Mr Robot fanboys from asking you same question in future.
    Create a bootable USB of kali weekly image. Make sure Legacy BIOS and Secure BOOT are disabled. Then boot into kali live and enter commands given in this thread https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...l-dummy-failed . Just copy paste them when you doubt if there is a space in between the words.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-04-21 at 12:29.

{}
    Did you boot kali live in UEFI? Why are you using 32-bit version of kali?

31. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Did you boot kali live in UEFI?
    No I didn't. I used legacy.

Why are you using 32-bit version of kali?
    How can you tell its 32 bit? I'm on a 64 bit machine. I'm not sure why I would have downloaded wrong version. I recall download site being confusing and not very clear.

Are you sure Live cd will work on 64 bit because you know I had trouble installing 64 bit on UEFI? I know we are not installing it here but still...
    Last edited by Make Kali Great Again; 2017-04-22 at 12:10.

32. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Did you boot kali live in UEFI? Why are you using 32-bit version of kali?
    grub-install /dev/sda

Should they be anything after the "a" in sda in the code you provided above?
    example like:
    sda*
    sda**
    or is it actually just meant to be plain "sda".

No I didn't. I used legacy.

How can you tell its 32 bit? I'm on a 64 bit machine. I'm not sure why I would have downloaded wrong version. I recall download site being confusing and not very clear.

Are you sure Live cd will work on 64 bit because you know I had trouble installing 64 bit on UEFI? I know we are not installing it here but still...
    grub-install /dev/sda

Should they be anything after the "a" in sda in the code you provided above?
    example like:
    sda*
    sda**
    or is it actually just meant to be plain "sda".
    Don't use legacy mode. Switch to UEFI. Download kali-linux-2017-W16-amd64.iso from here http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/ . Create a bootable USB of GPT partition scheme for UEFI using rufus. Then boot into kali live and run the process. The i386 is 32-bit image. amd64 is 64-bit image.

It should be grub-install /dev/sda where /dev/sda is the name of your hard disk.

Optional choice: Throw your DVD. It won't let you do the work. Get yourself familiar with the bootable USBs and UEFI firmwares.

34. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Don't use legacy mode. Switch to UEFI. Download kali-linux-2017-W16-amd64.iso from here http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/ . Create a bootable USB of GPT partition scheme for UEFI using rufus. Then boot into kali live and run the process. The i386 is 32-bit image. amd64 is 64-bit image.

It should be grub-install /dev/sda where /dev/sda is the name of your hard disk.

Optional choice: Throw your DVD. It won't let you do the work. Get yourself familiar with the bootable USBs and UEFI firmwares.
    I put a brand new usb stick into the pc then
    I downloaded Kali weekly to hard drive and
    I downloaded Rufus
    I put a brand new usb stick into the pc then

In Rufus:
    I clicked Rufus and selected
    iso image and
    set it to FAT 32 and for partition scheme and target type I set it to
    GPT partition scheme for uefi (and I also tried mbr partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI)

I wasn't able to save the weekly iso to the new usb stick with Rufus
    When using UEFI target type, only EFI bootable iso images are
    supported. Please select an EFI bootable ISO or set target type to BIOS.

All weekly images iso are EFI supported. Is it week 16 image? I also use rufus and when I select week 16 image rufus automatically use DD mode instead of ISO mode for creating bootable images. Now official 2017.1 tested image is released so you can re-install that.

Show the screenshot of rufus control panel when you select that image.

36. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    I also use rufus and when I select week 16 image rufus automatically use DD mode instead of ISO mode for creating bootable images.
    Should I leave it at DD mode or select ISO mode? If I pick DD I don't see the actual iso unless I choose (show) 'all files'.

Should I leave it at DD mode or select ISO mode? If I pick DD I don't see the actual iso unless I choose (show) 'all files'.
    It doesn't matter which mode do you choose. As soon as you select the iso image, rufus automatically switches to DD mode which i hate it because i prefer ISO mode. Rufus does the same with 2017.1 iso. Anyway just use DD mode and wait for its completion. Then boot the USB.

38. For partition scheme and target system type I have:
    MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI-CSM
    Is this right?

Rufus didn't allow me to select UEFI alone so I used the above setting in Rufus.
    Last edited by Make Kali Great Again; 2017-04-30 at 23:21.

For partition scheme and target system type I have:
    MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI-CSM
    Is this right?

Rufus didn't allow me to select UEFI alone so I used the above setting in Rufus.
    It's fine. Just boot the USB now.

40. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    It's fine. Just boot the USB now.
    What about step 3, step 4, step 5? Should I follow it? Or just go straight to boot usb like you said?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnihton View Post

3. Create a folder /EFI/Boot in your USB (You now have some data of Kali Linux in your USB already). See Picture.

4. Download bootx64.efi, MokManager.efi (don't know if this is needed, but I just do it anyway), and grubx64.efi from here: ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/
    then put them into /EFI/Boot folder you created in step 3.

5. Create a file named grub.cfg in /EFI/Boot in your USB with the following contents:
    Note: You can download the file here too: grub.txt. But make sure you put it into /EFI/Boot folder in your USB along with the 3 files in step 4 and change the name to grub.cfg. See Picture.

Weekly image has these things already.

42. Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Weekly image has these things already.
    I went into BIOS, set it to boot from USB containing the weekly image (under uefi mode), saved, exited.
    After that the computer restarted, the usb flashed it's lights, however all I saw was the logo of the computers brand for minutes on end. I waited for Kali install process but never happened. After waiting a while, nothing other than viewing the logo of the computer. So I powered off.
    Last edited by Make Kali Great Again; 2017-05-03 at 12:09.

It's is hard to tell about your existing problem without looking in PC what may have causing this issue. I cannot help beyond that except how to boot kali and creating bootable USB. Keep in UEFI mode and make fresh install of kali 2017.1. It is a tested version.

i downloaded "kali-linux-2017.1-amd64.iso" i have used "rufus-2.15p.exe", "Etcher-1.0.0-win32-x64.exe" and "unetbootin-windows-638.exe" to write the image to my 16GB USB Thumbstick.
    no matter how i do it, it will not make it past UEFI bios with secure boot enabled.
    when i use Etecher and ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso it will pass.
    what gives?
    5 pages here and no clear way to boot with uefi secure boot enabled bios?
    Last edited by tdbone1; 2017-05-20 at 16:15.

ok i had success

kali amd64 image (week 20)
    16GB fat32 stick
    windows 10 pro 64bit
    rufus
    mbr and uefi selected
    fat32
    select weekly image
    DD mode

in bios turned secure boot off in bios (save on exit)
    F12 for me during boot so i can select the usb stick with kali
    (kali booted right up) need to try with secure boot on. might work dont know

Awesome as i havent got to use kali in a long time
    2017.1 standard amd64 is great! love it

46. So you achieved dual boot?

Quote Originally Posted by tdbone1 View Post
    ok i had success

kali amd64 image (week 20)
    16GB fat32 stick
    windows 10 pro 64bit
    rufus
    mbr and uefi selected
    fat32
    select weekly image
    DD mode

in bios turned secure boot off in bios (save on exit)
    F12 for me during boot so i can select the usb stick with kali
    (kali booted right up) need to try with secure boot on. might work dont know

Awesome as i havent got to use kali in a long time
    2017.1 standard amd64 is great! love it
    So you have dual boot that is windows and kali on single uefi computer?
    Can I use a DVD iso to achieve the same results? I'm after dual boot too win/kali.

47. Can you do a tutorial for those of us using a DVD iso?

Quote Originally Posted by Rnihton View Post
    ... I just bought a laptop (Asus N56VJ-DH71) which runs UEFI system (my my, it costs me 2 days because of this).

Anyway, it was hard to install Kali Linux with the EFI system because you encounter some weird errors and you have to fix them manually.

I am going to write a complete guide here (I don't really know much, but I've followed most of the guides on Google and spent 2 days for it. So I might be able to get you out of desperating installing Kali in EFI system).

Can you do a tutorial for those of us using a DVD iso on windows 8.1 EFI?
    Is using a usb with something like rufus the only way to achieve dual boot Kali/Win?

Hello my Dear
    First of all thank you for giving like this wide information. it is really helpful; Well i have copied all of it too. but some links NOT working!!! For example on your 4. step you gave a link to download bootx64.efi, MokManager.efi and grubx64.efi . my system is 32 bit i did found boot 32.efi from internet but grubx32 or grubx64 NONE. So what do you suugest to solve th problem. Best Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kubby View Post
    Hello my Dear
    First of all thank you for giving like this wide information. it is really helpful; Well i have copied all of it too. but some links NOT working!!! For example on your 4. step you gave a link to download bootx64.efi, MokManager.efi and grubx64.efi . my system is 32 bit i did found boot 32.efi from internet but grubx32 or grubx64 NONE. So what do you suugest to solve th problem. Best Regards.
    Just use kali rolling 2017.3. You don't need these files anymore.