Thread: good Kali desktop setup?

good Kali desktop setup?

Hey all,

I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct section if im not I apologize.

Any way I am thinking of getting back into Pen Testing ( last time I tested was Backtrack 3 I have a lot to catch up on) I was wondering if theres a rule of thumb as far as computer specs to go for? I have heard a little about CUDA but need to research more. Right now im just using a small I3 Laptop and its going good but i want something i can intigrate into my truck and do mobile testing with good components, so is there anything specific I should look for?

Hi there,

I'm no means an expert but I'll tell you about what I know.

If you are using metasploit or something similar, it's a bit heavy on the CPU and RAM. i3 is a good place to start, I have an i5 in my laptop. However, It is still pointless to try and compare this to my 5Gz overclocked Quad core i7 in my desktop.

You are on the money with cuda. Software like pyrit and cudahashcat can defer processing to you graphics cards instead of the CPU. For my laptop, it's about 10x faster to have the gpu crunch the numbers.

Make sure the gpu is cuda compatible. Nvidia have a list on their website.

The wireless adapter needs to be capable of monitor mode, that, or you will need a Usb adapter. I have not seen anyone have much luck with wireless-ac. May be worth while sticking with a dual band wireless n. I bought an after market Intel 6235 and installed it in mine, it works well for monitor mode and handshake capturing under Kali.

If you end up with an optimus based laptop, be aware that it is a bit of a challenge to get the video card switch working. That switch needs to work before you can get cuda to work.

im thinking of an I7 Desktop for my setup at least 16 gigs of ram, a decent cuda based card maybe a 2 or 4 gig? and an ssd of course. would that about cover what i need?

as for wireless adapters thank you for the advice on the intel but i may be looking for an external based one.