Thread: Bridged, NAT, ad-hoc, infrastructure

Question Bridged, NAT, ad-hoc, infrastructure

I am seeing these relations in a little bit of a foggy way. What I mean is if I use airbase-ng with wlan0 it creates my at0 interface and my wlan0 interface becomes PROMISC.
    I can bring my at0 up start DHCP on at0, route the traffic through eth0 and everything runs fine; However a few questions are in order and I have been searching like a mad man to understand the relation here.

This would not be considered an ad-hoc network right?

if all I want to do is create an access point with Internet connectivity could I just bridge at0 with eth0?

why does it need wlan0 to run in PROMISC mode? is that in fact what is pushing out the signal? I don't see how it's being used

I can see how I could use this to connect other computers to a wireless network....is this the most productive way?
    if I had a desktop with no wifi card could I run an Ethernet cable to the nic card on my laptop and route traffic through it out to the wireless network, that is from eth0 to wlan0? yes or no?..........bridge connection maybe?

and finally is there a way to see where the bandwidth is going on my network, I am the admin so I can Telnet into my network and log in via the net and that's well and good but is there
    a NetFlow alternative for routers running a Linux kernel. I don't care to sniff the traffic so much as I would like to see Bandwidth usage. But actually if I am physically connected to my silly little router could I sniff the traffic without mac flooding or arp poisoning. Could I telnet in and switch the port I am physically connected to, to run in PROMISC mode, or something like that?

I know it's a lot but I think it illustrates where I am at with all this (including my spelling), reading man page after man page, forum searching from ****, ridiculous you Tube videos, yes or no answers will do, short answers will do, anyway I could get some assistance would be awesome,
    Thanks

Hi zolteckx6

I will try to answer your questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by zolteckx6 View Post
    This would not be considered an ad-hoc network right?
    Yes, this would not be considered an ad-hoc network
    Question: What is Ad-Hoc Mode in Wireless Networking?
    Answer: On wireless computer networks, ad-hoc mode is a method for wireless devices to directly communicate with each other. Operating in ad-hoc mode allows all wireless devices within range of each other to discover and communicate in peer-to-peer fashion without involving central access points
    I can see how I could use this to connect other computers to a wireless network....is this the most productive way?
    No, you can take a look at hostapd
    Hostap

if I had a desktop with no wifi card could I run an Ethernet cable to the nic card on my laptop and route traffic through it out to the wireless network, that is from eth0 to wlan0? yes or no?..........
    If I understand correctly yes you can with iptables

and finally is there a way to see where the bandwidth is going on my network,.
    Haven't done by my self, ever, but you can try MRTG - Monitor router traffic

Code:
     apt-get install mrtg
    and you can look here:
    Network Monitoring Using Free Linux Tools

Good luck man!

but let me ask this then all these programs to monitor network traffic like spiceworks, netflow, ntop they are good for me as a single host; however, being the admin in my home network I sould be able to monitor bandiwth on all devices on my network including the 4 pc's I have + my ruko + ps3 ...etc, yet I can not find a way to get this done sad.gif without arp poisoning or mac flooding. ps some of these are running on the wifi. I just don't understand

.......... I sould be able to monitor bandiwth on all devices on my network ..........
    To be able to monitor bandwidth on all devices on your network, you must pass all your internet traffic through your linux-kali box and give internet access to each device from that box, meaning to make linux box to act as an switch, if i'm not wrong.

Just been curious, just tried nload. A console like (very simple) program. Monitor Network Traffic and Bandwidth Usage In Real Time. You can try it your self.
    Code:
    apt-get install nload
    nload wlan0
    where wlan0 my wireless NIC.

Good luck.