Thread: Permanent(HDD) installation on USB3 drive

Question Permanent(HDD) installation on USB3 drive

I have a 64Gb USB3, and I would like to be able to update core files such as drivers. I do not see any other options but to do a HDD installation on that USB drive. To create a custom ISO is not an option for me.

If someone has tried to install Kali on a USB using the same method as an HDD installation, please share your experience.
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge

I do not see why would not do it. Does the gparted see your usb?. You my have some residue files on it from factory. If gparted can see it, wipe any partition on it - do not format. I installed on my 32G with no problems. At boot, I press F12( on my laptop) to choose boot device. You my have different option. If gparted can not see it, try the BootDisk. Got few partition tools.

Hi dupek!

I started a howto in the Howtos section here. It is still under construction. Feel free to contribute with your experience.

It did work. The biggest problem was 1. the Operator(me) and 2. the Kali HDD installation program that was not designed for a USB. So the installation process was abit 'esoteric' at times, where the installation program was 'moody' and I had to unplug/plugin the USB key many times before it completed the installation.

I'm not done with the howto. I'm looking at the possibility of non-journaling ext4 file system instead of ext2 for the installation. Stay tuned kids!
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge