Thread: unable to connect to internet through wifi/ethernet on kali linux

unable to connect to internet through wifi/ethernet on kali linux

hi, I am new to kali linux and i was trying to connect to my wifi but it says "Authentication required by wireless network" and asking for wifi password and doesn't connect to wifi. I checked the "connect automatically" box and "available for all users" box but still it doesn't connect and whenever it automatically tries to connect a window opens again asking for password. i am writing my password correct aswell but don't know whats wrong. i tried to connect in "root" user, standard user and administrator. when i connect my ethernet cable then also it doesn't connect through it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Try using in terminal commands

ifconfig

to see which wireless interface your on. Wlan0, wlan1, wlan2, etc

then type

ifconfig wlan0 down
    ifconfig wlan0 up

having same problem. I figure many others have same. That advice just means turn on and off wifi correct? Did not work for me

You will have to configure everything from scratch. This means assigning ip addresses to both wifi and ethernet adaptors, adding routes to your gateway / router and assigning DNS servers .
    As Default zero states, ifconfig for network adaptors , route command for configuring gateway and editing the /etc/resolv.conf file for DNS nameservers. If working in GUI then configure everything above using Network Manager.