Thread: Wireless setup?

Wireless setup?

I tried to install Kali on a Toshiba Satellite S-55A. It booted fine in live mode and was able to connect to the wireless access point I've been using. When I tried to install it as my primary system the wireless connection continuously failed. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I've done this install several other computers. It seems a bit odd it will boot in live mode and have all of the right drivers and such but in install it won't connect. The installer will find my wireless just fine but it won't connect to the AP. What am I doing wrong here?

Code:
    Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    Product Name: Satellite S55-A
    Version: PSKK2U-05V08R

Hi vailixi
    From a quick search i found that Toshiba Satellite S-55A uses a Realtek RTL8188E Wireless LAN. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You can start by typing:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep rtl8188ee
    or
    lsmod | grep rtl8188
    dmesg
    You will find the way. You have to try a little more.

You can look here also:
    Software: Drivers & Utilities
    Last edited by Nick_the_Greek; 2014-06-30 at 18:02. Reason: Forgot url
    Security always begins with personal responsibility. - quietman7

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_the_Greek View Post
    Hi vailixi
    From a quick search i found that Toshiba Satellite S-55A uses a Realtek RTL8188E Wireless LAN. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You can start by typing:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep rtl8188ee
    or
    lsmod | grep rtl8188
    dmesg
    You will find the way. You have to try a little more.

You can look here also:
    Software: Drivers & Utilities
    So where can I find a step by step on rebuilding the installation DVD image to use the correct wireless dirvers during install? Is it something as simple as they are modular by default and I have to go in reconfigure the kernel and recompile? Then rebuild the ISO? Is it something like the installer doesn't want to load the drivers at that runtime level. Or is going to be something retarded complicated? If there's like a 600 page manual I'm cool with that. I'll read the thing. I just don't want do like 10 hours of reading and another 3 hours of terminal to figure out my Linux is still broken. I'm just really not sure what do to do here. I would look this up on Google but I'm really not even sure of the search terms I should be using? I mean I've been meaning to build linux from scratch. LOL

Sorry don't mean to sound like a complete n00b. Any further suggestions at this point would be awesome.

My friend I already told you how to begin. Start from identifying the chip that your Toshiba Satellite S-55A uses. Is it for sure the rtl8188ee one? (which I believe it is)
    Code:
    lspci -nn
    do you see something like:
    Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8179]
    Kali has any rtl8188ee module already? Is it loaded ?
    Code:
    lsmod | grep rtl8188ee
    what dmesg output give us?
    Code:
    dmesg | grep rtl
    Do you need a firmware?

And finally take a look at these:

Wireless not working on Toshiba Satellite C55-A5281

Package: firmware-realtek (0.41~bpo70+1) non-free

Come on man! You can try harder.

Good luck.
    Security always begins with personal responsibility. - quietman7

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0036] (rev 01)

Loads fine in live mode. Doesn't install over wireless. Needs to be plugged into ethernet. Seems it just can't exchange keys with the wireless access point. Live CD works fine. Wireless totally works. Wireless works fine after I've installed from ethernet connection.

It is "Debian thing". What works in live mode, my not work during install or after. I try the "pure Debian". In live mode, my video worked fine, but after install - no video. Fglrx driver missing. Go figure.

It didnt work for me either when I tried to install. I skipped through it though and the wireless works once I get to the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Canefan23 View Post
    It didnt work for me either when I tried to install. I skipped through it though and the wireless works once I get to the desktop.
    Well this is the wireless card. Without network the install fails. Debian has the same issue. Won't install over wireless. The only Debian based distro I can get to install over wireless on this machine is Parrot. And yay for Parrot the audio doesn't work. Funny thing Ubuntu will do all of this just fine. Only Ubuntu is complete **** when I want to actually use my computer for something. Nice that it installs and I can watch some YouTube but nothing else works.

I had the same problem with 2 Panasonic Toughbooks and my Toshiba Satellite A105-S2061. A workaround that has worked for me is to intentionally pick the wrong authentication scheme (WEP instead of WPA and vice versa) and let it fail. It will give you the option to continue and configure the network settings later (sometimes it has to fail 2-3 times before giving you the option). Same thing when it comes to setting up a network mirror, continue without it. you may have to re-install a couple of times, but it will eventually go completely through the setup, and once it finishes, you can connect to your AP from the desktop. Weird but has worked for me each time, on all 3 computers.