Thread: My Alpha AWUS036h

My Alpha AWUS036h

I purchase this USB with external antena. In win7 works great - I can connect to AP 1.2miles from where I am. My main AP is about 50feet away. My laptop ia Gateway NE71B with Intel wireless. I downloaded WICD and remove Gnome network manager. That way I can control the wifi device. My build in wireless is way faster that the Alpha - even with external antena. All full bars, but *** dragging speed. I get 3bard with my internal and have better speed. Does any one know of how to fix it?. Even that the internal have greater speed, it is dropping signal, because of obstacles on the way. Just reinstalled Kali and can not get updates - get stuck half a way and quit. Web browser slow as ****.

Well, some good news ( at least for me). After hours of searching the net, I come accross this gem:
    modprobe rtl8187
    iwconfig wlan1 rate 5.5M fixed
    iwconfig wlan1 frag 2346
    iwconfig wlan1 rts 2347
    iwconfig wlan1 txpower 30

I use WICD and preffer wlan1. I use iwconfig to kill the wlan0(internal wireless) with iwconfig wlan0 down.
    I do not need the modprobe, but the rest of it did a miracle for me. Not only I was able to upgrade in 40min ( try before for an hours), but I was able download the full KDE with decent speed and no connection failure.
    The draw back: Have to enter this every time I reboot. I am not that much profficient with Linux, but could some one write a startup script - you know, like the autoexec.bat file in old dos and windows. The driver is OK, just not managed correctly.
    Last edited by dupek; 2014-07-01 at 12:00. Reason: added

How to make scripts run at boot time.

Hi dupek

Let's assume that your commands are the right ones for your card.

You can do it in 2 ways. One way is to copy your commands to a script file, let's name it dupek.sh:
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    modprobe rtl8187
    iwconfig wlan1 frag 2346
    iwconfig wlan1 rts 2347
    name it (dupek.sh),save it to, let's say /root/Desktop
    make it executable
    Code:
    chmod 755 /root/Desktop/dupek.sh
    and run it:
    Code:
    sh dupek.sh
    If you want those commands to be runned on boot you can make something like this:

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    # /etc/init.d/dupek.sh

case "$1" in
      start)
        echo "Starting my commands"
        modprobe rtl8187
        iwconfig wlan1 frag 2346
        iwconfig wlan1 rts 2347
        ;;
      stop)
        echo "Stopping my commands"
        modprobe -r rtl8187
        sleep 2
        modprobe rtl8187
        ;;
      *)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/dupek {start|stop}"
        exit 1
        ;;
    esac

exit 0
    save it to /etc/init.d/dupek.sh
    make it executable:
    Code:
    chmod 755 /etc/init.d/dupek.sh
    if you want to run it execute:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/dupek start
    to stop it:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/dupek stop
    please have in mind that the commands that are runned in stop sequence are:
    Code:
    modprobe -r rtl8187
    sleep 2
    modprobe rtl8187
    remove cards "driver", wait 2 sec, enable cards "driver" which I presume will reset your command in the start sequence.

now if you want to make it run on boot, you need to add the appropriate symbolic links to cause the script to be executed when the system goes down, or comes up.
    execute:
    Code:
    update-rc.d dupek.sh defaults
    if you decide to stop it from running on boot:
    Code:
    update-rc.d -f  dupek.sh remove
    learn the basics and have fun!
    Security always begins with personal responsibility. - quietman7

Man, that is a lot of keyboard use. Whatever happen to the time of autoexec.bat - much simple. Thanks. I will try and hope that my keyboard will still work after.

Quote Originally Posted by dupek View Post
    Man, that is a lot of keyboard use.....

No. it's not. It's most basically a copy paste thing and have in mind that Kali is a specialized distro. You must have prepared you self to use your keyboard a lot more then you might imagine.

Have fun man!
    Security always begins with personal responsibility. - quietman7

To dupek

Our teams all use the AWUSO36H. We had nothing but problems with WICD and no problems with net-work manager. We have no problem with speed, reception or download. You should attach the antenna directly to the device and use a usb extension cable not longer then 5 meters. Try and avoid SMA cable.

An autoexec.bat file in Windows is called a script file in Linux. There are plenty of examples in this forum and in aircrack-ng forums. Write the routine you want to use in a text file, Go to the permissions for the file you saved and allow to be executed as a program and click on it and it will run. You can stick the file in the /user/bin/ folder, allow it to be exectuted as a program and then just type the name of the file in a terminal window and the program will run.

We can provide you our routines for starting a AWUS036H and boosting its power if you rqr.

MTB

Some one give to me the advise to remove the network manager and put WICD. After few triails, the WICD is gone and network manager back. I did add to the script "iwconfig wlan0 down " at the begining of that sript. The internal and Alpha are colaiding and slow the wifi down. Two scripts "alpha up" and "alpha down" if I want to use internal. Slowly getting to it. In my age, it is really getting slow. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_the_Greek View Post

learn the basics and have fun!

First and foremost, i'd like to thank you for showing us this script. i've been looking for something like this for a very long time and i wish i came here sooner. i created a script called wifi.sh based on your tutorial, but i keep getting an error message.

root@kali:/etc/init.d# update-rc.d wifi.sh defaults
    update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
    insserv: warning: script 'wifi.sh' missing LSB tags and overrides

root@kali:/etc/init.d# update-rc.d wifi.sh remove
    update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
    insserv: warning: script 'K01wifi.sh' missing LSB tags and overrides
    insserv: warning: script 'wifi.sh' missing LSB tags and overrides
    bloggif_5422acc051e54.jpg

the edited script 'wifi.sh':
    #! /bin/sh
    # /etc/init.d/wifi.sh

case "$1" in
    start)
    echo "Starting my commands"
    modprobe rtl8187
    iwconfig wlan1 frag 2346
    iwconfig wlan1 rts 2347
    ;;
    stop)
    echo "Stopping my commands"
    modprobe -r rtl8187
    sleep 2
    modprobe rtl8187
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/wifi.sh {start|stop}"
    exit 1
    ;;
    esac

exit 0
    could you please sort me out? cause i don't know what i'm doing wrong.
    I however managed to go to startup applications, added the script from there, and it seems to be working. is that method work as a plan b should the script fail to run?
    Last edited by kaboyish; 2014-09-24 at 11:42.

HI,
    The your script was realy hepfull, but if i run't 2 tests in a row.
    I get an error like wi_write() and the interface wlan0mon resets.
    I'm geting this problems latest kali-rolling live usb from the released iso, this is a Macbook pro late 2013.
    At first i thoght to be the cable or the card it self switch with a diferent cable diff port same behaviour.
    Then i tested the card with original cable in sony VPCF12M1E/H, with the same usb and it works good no errors.

I noticed that on the macbook the internal wifi card interface doen't show up.. but some of its modules are loaded (best guess firmware driver is missing), can that be the source of the problem ?

I tryed to test on vwmware and vritual box but the card keeps pooping on and off, since i'm runing does with osx 10.10.5, i cant find a driver compatible with that version of osx couln't test it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0x4E0x650x6FŽ View Post
    HI,
    The your script was realy hepfull, but if i run't 2 tests in a row.
    I get an error like wi_write() and the interface wlan0mon resets.
    I'm geting this problems latest kali-rolling live usb from the released iso, this is a Macbook pro late 2013.
    At first i thoght to be the cable or the card it self switch with a diferent cable diff port same behaviour.
    Then i tested the card with original cable in sony VPCF12M1E/H, with the same usb and it works good no errors.

I noticed that on the macbook the internal wifi card interface doen't show up.. but some of its modules are loaded (best guess firmware driver is missing), can that be the source of the problem ?

I tryed to test on vwmware and vritual box but the card keeps pooping on and off, since i'm runing does with osx 10.10.5, i cant find a driver compatible with that version of osx couln't test it.
    Turns out that the card consumes more than 500ma and the usb controller shuts down the port i manged to find a whay to verify this by attaching a powered usb hub, and all my problems are now solved.

you can test this without the powerd usb hub with something like this.

thumb_IMG_20160304_170507_1024.jpg

so now its working on mac osx late 2013 including vmware without problems.