Thread: Install Kali on Linux Qemu VM

Install Kali on Linux Qemu VM

Hello,

I'm trying to install kali linux on a qemu virtual machine. I get a weird flashing screen once the kali linux kernel changes video modes.

This is my setup:
    ArchLinux x64 host using nvidia drivers for X Windows
    Kali linux 1.0.7 64 bit .iso
    Qemu is being run with KVM and non efi bios

Specific Problems.

1. If I boot .iso and choose run live image or even live image failsafe from grub menu it show kernel messages and then flash my vm's console. If I edit the .iso grub cmdline for the boot to remove noquiet on the linux command line or even the initvideo line before it has the same result.

2. If I boot .iso and choose to run graphics install, it will complete the install procedure and then prompt for reboot. When I reboot the vm and switch to booting the installed disk image, it gives the same result as the live image from the .iso.

I've looked at the virtual box docs and that appears to be for setting up tools image once the install is complete. That could be a problem I encounter later, but for now, I'm just trying to get a functional system.

Look at the boot sequence. KVM may be disable by bios. Kali ment to run in real world. VM world is like VM *** - look but no touch.

Quote Originally Posted by netskink View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to install kali linux on a qemu virtual machine. I get a weird flashing screen once the kali linux kernel changes video modes.

This is my setup:
    ArchLinux x64 host using nvidia drivers for X Windows
    Kali linux 1.0.7 64 bit .iso
    Qemu is being run with KVM and non efi bios

Specific Problems.

1. If I boot .iso and choose run live image or even live image failsafe from grub menu it show kernel messages and then flash my vm's console. If I edit the .iso grub cmdline for the boot to remove noquiet on the linux command line or even the initvideo line before it has the same result.

2. If I boot .iso and choose to run graphics install, it will complete the install procedure and then prompt for reboot. When I reboot the vm and switch to booting the installed disk image, it gives the same result as the live image from the .iso.

I've looked at the virtual box docs and that appears to be for setting up tools image once the install is complete. That could be a problem I encounter later, but for now, I'm just trying to get a functional system.
    @netskink

Did you ever get this working? I am experiencing the same behavior that you desribe :/

I had the same problem but got this working thanks to the link here: https://www.nomachine.com/forums/top...ux-in-a-kvm-vm.

They suggested changing the video card of the virtual machine to "QXL" or "VGA" and then restarting. I had already tried VGA but that didn't work for me. I don't know if your real hardware video card has any bearing on this, but the next time this happens on another machine, I'm going to try them all. Don't just reset the virtual machine - make sure you actually stop it and then start it again for the different video card settings to take affect.

I had the same problem and got this working by changing the video card settings in virt-manager. I found the solution here: https://www.nomachine.com/forums/top...ux-in-a-kvm-vm and documented it elsewhere in this forum as well.

Changing it to QXL worked for me, but run through them all if that doesn't work. Make sure you do a full stop on the VM and then start it again instead of just doing a reset or the video card settings won't actually change. Good luck.