Thread: OpenVAS not scanning?

OpenVAS not scanning?

I used my usual Google-fu, and tried to find a more OpenVAS specific forum, and didn't really get anywhere.

I've been experimenting with OpenVAS for a number of reasons. To compliment and check Nessus, see how different they are in what they pick up, but initially because I might end up needing to do a pentest at a location where I won't have access to Nessus. So, since I've been comparing the two, I came accross a problem yesterday. Nessus is scanning a subnet, and getting results from 27 different targets. OpenVAS scanning the same subnet, only came back with results from 9 targets. I'm confident it isn't a ping issue, all the targets are pingable. I also unchecked the "Only show hosts that have results" checkbox thinking maybe there was some glitch in how it reads the Cider notation, but it appears to have scanned the entire subnet, just didn't return results for all the running machines.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to troubleshoot the problem?

I did another scan today, it was going way slow, got to about 15% after 4 hours or so, then just decided it was finished. It only scanned about the first 110 hosts, and clearly ignored the rest. Checking against my Nessus scans, it didn't miss a single host up to .108, but didn't get any of the 20 or so after that.

No insight?

It would seem that the scans never go more than 3 hours (or very near to it, almost to the minute.) I tried backing off the concurrent hosts scanned, thinking maybe it was just too much for my poor computer, given how poorly it runs during a scan, which helped with that performance problem, but it still gave up after 3 hours. I couldn't find a setting that would change this.

Anyone?