So, I am in the process of installing Kali Linux alongside Windows 8 on a Surface Pro. I have reached the point where I can run the installer, but it wont boot, which makes sense, since grub fails to install (it just boots into Windows). Here's how I get to that step.

I have a 40GB (36.7GB) partition, and I let the installer automatically partition the space as follows:

Code:
    Size	Type

32.5 GB	ext4

4.2 GB	swap

So far, so good, I go to the next step and I get a warning message that says:

No EFI partition was found
and it gives me the option to go back, so I go back, and resize the partitions like this:

Code:
    Size	Type
    32.5 GB	ext4
    4.0 GB	swap
    200MB	EFIboot
So, now when I hit next, I get no warning about missing an EFI partition, and the OS begins to install. I can't configure a package manager since my wireless card is not supported out of the box, but I think that will be ok. I have the files I need on a thumb drive. However, eventually an error occurs that says:

The 'grub-efi' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.
This message is indeed telling the truth, as it just boots into Windows. Does anyone know a good way to get around this? Basically, I need a way to install grub. Why does it fail to install the grub-efi package? Do I need to install that? Or is it possible to use a legacy boot system? I feel like I am a bit over my head here, as I consider myself somewhere between beginner and intermediate, but this EFI stuff is completely foreign to me. Where did I mess up? What should I try? Any help/advice is appreciated.