Thread: VMware Fusion Copy/Paste no longer working post-update

VMware Fusion Copy/Paste no longer working post-update

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with an install of Kali that's running on VMware Fusion 5.0.5. Copy and paste functions are no longer working from the host OS to the Kali client, however resolution resizing and networking is still functional. Here's what happened:

Everything was working fine, and I keep the system relatively up-to-date, so I assume that I had been running Kali 1.0.6 before this was carried out. I performed an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and then apt-get dist-upgrade. At that time, Kali informed me that it had a new version available and proceeded to download and install that version. There were some errors during the install, which were related to the linux header files, so I also performed an apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r). After which, everything seemed like it was working alright (no errors running apt-get, anyhow). uname -a reports 3.14.5-1kali1 (2014-06-07).

At this point, it appeared as though the vmware tools stopped functioning - resolution would not scale, network controller non functional. At first, I attempted to install the open-vm-tools and toolbox. This caused the resolution and network to come back to normal, however copy/paste didn't work (as well as custom mouse controls, like 2-finger scrolling). I uninstalled open-vm-tools, installed the VMware tools, but the same issue persists.

Is there a compatibility issue between the latest version of Kali and VM tools? Something that just got wonky in my installation? Thoughts?

I'm using VMware Fusion 6. (6.0.4 as of the time of writing - latest version), using the latest version of 'open vm toolbox' (apt-get install open-vm-toolbox), and everything has being working since the upgrade of 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 to 1.0.7 (Kali x64). I can report that clipboard sharing/screen resizing/scrolling works/networking works.

I don't have the old setup file for Fusion v5 any more, so I can't test it out.

All I can suggest is wipe all tracks of VMware tools (Open & closed verions), start fresh and enable logging.
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2014-07-12 at 08:20.
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/