Thread: How to install Kali Linux on External Hard Drive

Question How to install Kali Linux on External Hard Drive

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro on my laptop and bought 1 TB external hard drive so i can install kali on it. Microsoft has done a total mess with Windows 8.1. UEFI boot incompatible issues. I don't want to land in any trouble. Please refer to a step by step walkthrough of doing this without loosing anything on my windows. I have tried installing Ubuntu before and boot manager got corrupted. So, someone suggested me to flash rEFInd Boot Manager but that turned out to be very complicated. So, had to switch to only Ubuntu deleting windows. But Linux doesn't gaming needs even PlayOnLinux has too many issues so i don't want to remove windows this time. Please help and Thanks in Advance

Quote Originally Posted by AbhimanyuAryan View Post
    I am running Windows 8.1 Pro on my laptop and bought 1 TB external hard drive so i can install kali on it. Microsoft has done a total mess with Windows 8.1. UEFI boot incompatible issues. I don't want to land in any trouble. Please refer to a step by step walkthrough of doing this without loosing anything on my windows. I have tried installing Ubuntu before and boot manager got corrupted. So, someone suggested me to flash rEFInd Boot Manager but that turned out to be very complicated. So, had to switch to only Ubuntu deleting windows. But Linux doesn't gaming needs even PlayOnLinux has too many issues so i don't want to remove windows this time. Please help and Thanks in Advance
    Hi there,

I don't think you will have much luck with the exteral hard drive. It may be better to dual boot the install (that's what I did after replacing the hdd with a SSD). If you want to use an external device, a member called Quest has posted a great guide in the how to section, it should apply to your external hard drive.

The how to section also has a guide on how to EFI boot Kali. You need to create your install media in accordance with this guide. When you install, make sure you are connected to the internet, either via cable or wifi so that the efi-grub package can be installed.

Before you head down this path, image your hard drive with something like clonezilla. That way if you break it, you can image it back and pick up where you left off.

Can you provide a link to Quests thread?

funky linky but I'm not sure it will help you directly as to what you want.

I'd separate things if I were you. But I'm not, so good luck!

PS do us all a favor once you got it figured out and post a Howto.
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge