Thread: Get all the updates and packages for a subsequent OFF-line installation?

Arrow Get all the updates and packages for a subsequent OFF-line installation?

what would be the correct syntax(s) to get the Kali updates, without installing them, and keep them for future use?

where will those downloaded packages be on the disk?

what would be the correct syntax(s) to then install those packages OFF-line?
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge

Hi Quest,

I am not sure if you can realistically download packages for offline installation. The files need to be downloaded, error checked (compared with hashes) and then your install needs a method of scanning them and selecting that is required.

Ubuntu has tools which you can install and generate your own package list. I have seen nothing like this in Kali.

Option B is to create your own local repository mirror. I know the Wiki includes steps on how to do this but as part of the process you become part of the bigger picture as you need to provide all your details to get rsync access to the main server.

Just encase you are considering this I did a dry run on a nearby mirror to get the storage requirements. Just the Kali-security repo is 14GB. The main Kali repo is 324GB. You need to download, store and keep it up to date. This is not for the faint of heart.

ouch! Option B is definitely out.

Would be nice to have option A .. I'll keep an eye out for such a tool(Ubuntu like).

I'm looking at Kali metapackages now http://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-metapackages/ and that might be the beginning of a solution?(do they include the updates)(can I DL these packages and keep them, then install the offline), probly not, thus back to square one.

I'll stick to making images of my partition for now. That's the only way to install Offline, and to be 100% sure that all functionalities will be as they were, as 'new' doesn't mean 'better'...

Thanks friend!

*kinda weird all this dependency on the web/servers, especially considering that you don't really know what you are getting from the repositories*
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge

I was looking for something similar and I came across this http://askubuntu.com/questions/3576/...cal-repository. They show you how to take packages that are installed on another system, put them on a usb key, and use that key as a repository for apt-get.

Also just found this http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/. It explains how to create a debian repo that can use local files.

Also here is another link to how to create a repository that allows you to make a repo from local files (which you can transfer via usb)