Thread: Black screen, monitor enters power saving mode 3 minutes after booting a live usb

Black screen, monitor enters power saving mode 3 minutes after booting a live usb

Basically what happens is that after booting everything works fine for around 3 minutes on average until the display goes into power saving mode. The only way to exit that is to physically turn off the pc. I tried to just restart the pc and it booted into windows but the screen was still turned off/in power saving mode (windows is the only OS installed so far, im running kali from a live usb.)

So far i tried changing the lock and power options, changing the displays (the same thing happened with another one), i tried using xset and setterm but that didn't work either. The usb works fine on another computer. Im using 2 Ati radeon 6870 HD cards if that helps.

I tried searching the internet and the forums aswell but none of the solutions worked, so any kind of help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:
    I tried installing kali linux and i got the same problem, the monitor just goes into powersaving mode and doesn't respond anymore.
    Nomodeset doesn't work either.
    Last edited by Xer; 2014-07-31 at 14:10.