Thread: "Operation not permitted" when attempting to edit tx-power with AWUS036NHV

"Operation not permitted" when attempting to edit tx-power with AWUS036NHV

Hello all,

I am a college student who has taken an interest in security. After a while of putting it off and being unsure of whether or not I wanted to invest money into this, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Alfa AWUS036NHV. I knew when buying the card that it was a risk to get the newest (aside from the 036AC) version as far as support goes. So by all means, I have a basic understanding of how to do things in Kali and am using books and video resources (cbt nuggets, youtube, etc) to learn as much as I can.

Here is my problem:
    When attempting to modifying the tx-power settings, I get "Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power (8B26) : SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted."

I also got this error for trying to set Power Management to "On"

I do not have any set purpose when attempting these modifications, but I'm just sort of tinkering with things as I go along and this is perturbing me.

About the Device
    Chipset: RTL8188EUS
    Vendor: Alfa
    Model: AWUS036NHV
    Version: 1

About the Software
    I had issues trying to install both Alfa drivers (lasted linux driver on Alfa's website) as well as any Realtek drivers (I just simply got confused when trying to understand Realtek's drivers)

About the OS
    Version: 1.0.8
    Architecture: x64
    Used in VM: Yes, in VMware Workstation.

I have no installed any drivers for the card as of yet. So it could be that issue. I'm just looking for help specific to my questions and whether or not it could just be me not having installed a driver.

Thank you for your patience and help in advanced!
    Last edited by RedSixWhiskey; 2014-07-25 at 17:10.

Did you try setting the regulatory domain to something else? If you run the command "airmon-ng" what is the output?

hi

May be i will try to give you a some steps to help to reset your alpha wireless card but im not sure it will work with your model or not here is the steps:

# dmesg | tail -20
    # rfkill list
    # rmmod rtl 8187
    # rfkill block all
    # rfkill unblock all
    # modpeobe rtl 8187
    # rfkill unblock all
    # ifconfig wlan0 up
    # rfkill list
    # dmesg | tail -20
    # clear
    # /etc/init.d/networking restart