Thread: Problem with Kali post install.

Problem with Kali post install.

It seems that I got Kali installed fine, but when I boot into it, I get the grub menu and make my selection to boot to Kali 1.08 and get some notices and status messages of services starting. Then before I get to the gui, the cursor just plants in the upper left corner and stays there. Nothing else happens. On one out of every 7 or 8 boots it gets all the way into Kali and I'm able to do whatever I want. The first thing I thought of was a video problem. I checked the display, and while it doesn't have a monitor type, it does have a pretty benign resolution setting (1920x1080). I run the same resolution on a Windoze box without any problem on the same box. The box is a Dell Optiplex 9220 with plenty of ram. Not sure what is going on. I'm not sure if it might be some video problem, or if it is just hung in some startup process that never seems to finish. Anyone have any ideas?

Can you boot into the kali recovery mode?

If so, check the boot log files for errors

Another thing I've seemed to note. Last night I was around for about 1.5 hours after and the box was still in the same condition when I left. But this morning when I came in, I jiggled the mouse and the gui was active. I'm not sure it it was only suspending that caused the gui to actually boot on wake up, but I'm going to test. I looked through a lot of the logs, and saw nothing that seemed suspicious. I did see it say it was setting the screen resolution to 1028x768 but I checked and it was 1920x1028. Which seems find on my other box with a non-linux OS.