Thread: Missing Ruby Gem breaks Metasploit Framework?

Missing Ruby Gem breaks Metasploit Framework?

Hi,

Over the weekend I was interested to take a look at exe2vba.rb which converts exe code to vba.

Having not the first clue about Ruby, I cloned a copy of exe2vba.rb from Github then tried tinkering to get it to run.

First of all I tried running it from the command line using the suggested command: ruby exe2vba.rb [somefilename].exe

That wouldn't work, so I installed ruby on rails. I then tried the same command again but kept getting the error message "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources"

So I installed Bundler. After hours and hours of trying to trying to install and get them working correctly I then discovered that exe2vba.rb now appears to have been replaced by a Kali command "msfpayload" anyway. Great.

Now that I've gone back to try "msfpayload" that command won't run either: "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources".

Screenshot

In fact it appears that I have broken my Metasploit Framework completely by installing Ruby on Rails, Bundler and so forth. Typing "msfconsole" at the command line simply results in - you guessed it - "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources". Joy.

This is all the more galling as I now remember trying out msfpayload one afternoon about two months ago - so there was never actually any need for me to get embroiled with exe2vba.rb in the first place. Perfect.

I have tried everything I can think of to get Metasploit Framework running again but I simply keep running into the same error message: "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources"

You can see from the top of the screenshot that that gem appears to be installed.

As I am utterly mystified and confused any constructive help would be most welcome.

I no longer care for exe2vba.rb nor ruby, I just want my Metasploit Framework back please.
    Last edited by factgasm; 2014-08-01 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by factgasm View Post
    Hi,

Over the weekend I was interested to take a look at exe2vba.rb which converts exe code to vba.

Having not the first clue about Ruby, I cloned a copy of exe2vba.rb from Github then tried tinkering to get it to run.

First of all I tried running it from the command line using the suggested command: ruby exe2vba.rb [somefilename].exe

That wouldn't work, so I installed ruby on rails. I then tried the same command again but kept getting the error message "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources"

So I installed Bundler. After hours and hours of trying to trying to install and get them working correctly I then discovered that exe2vba.rb now appears to have been replaced by a Kali command "msfpayload" anyway. Great.

Now that I've gone back to try "msfpayload" that command won't run either: "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources".

Screenshot

In fact it appears that I have broken my Metasploit Framework completely by installing Ruby on Rails, Bundler and so forth. Typing "msfconsole" at the command line simply results in - you guessed it - "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources". Joy.

This is all the more galling as I now remember trying out msfpayload one afternoon about two months ago - so there was never actually any need for me to get embroiled with exe2vba.rb in the first place. Perfect.

I have tried everything I can think of to get Metasploit Framework running again but I simply keep running into the same error message: "Could not find i18n-0.6.9 in any of the sources"

You can see from the top of the screenshot that that gem appears to be installed.

As I am utterly mystified and confused any constructive help would be most welcome.

I no longer care for exe2vba.rb nor ruby, I just want my Metasploit Framework back please.
    hi :-)
    if you try sudo msfconsole or sudo msfpayload...worked?
    I say this because I had the same problem with the use (test) phishing-frenzy ...
    because metaspoit it is native with ruby ​​1.9.3 ..