Thread: Problem with configuring DHCP server in Kali 1.0.8

Unhappy Problem with configuring DHCP server in Kali 1.0.8

Hi there,
    I am new around here and I need to share and solve a problem while installing Kali 1.0.8 in my windows 7 previously installed laptop, I want to dual boot but having this weired problem everytime I am trying to install kali. I am giving the problem in short below hoping someone to get it solved please.
    Whenever I am trying to install kali, either directly from usb or after getting into kali through live mode, kali can not configure DHCP and telling that a installation step failed which is the one I just mentioned. I tried number of times all the options there( like autoconfigure, auto with DHCP tec..) but everytime it fails.
    Please tell me what to do 'coz I seriously need to install it in my hard drive.
    Regards.
    Note : I did'nt have this proble with BT 5R3 which got installed flawlessly.

i have same problem with you , I think their is not chipset driver for Net cards . My motherboard is GIGBYTE 970A-DS3

net card chipset is RT6168E . mybe the kali del driver for this chipset .

Hi

I had the same problem as both of you and using the same motherboard as when123. I just done the installation without the network settings as the firmware required for my NICs wasn't installing. When finished I manually installed the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by hack-microbe View Post
    Hi

I had the same problem as both of you and using the same motherboard as when123. I just done the installation without the network settings as the firmware required for my NICs wasn't installing. When finished I manually installed the firmware.
    how do you did that , can networking workable ?

can you details the steps ?
    thanks

Just install without network and on another computer visit https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages in the search box that searches package directories search for ralink firmware and realeak firmware. Ensure that the ralink is 0.43-all and the realeak is the 0.41-bpo. This worked for me, Just ensure you edit the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to say true instead of false once the firmware is installed

Still I can not solve the problem and newer problems have arose, which are :
    i) when I tried to use auto partition option, it does the partitioning but after that it says that ' no efi partition created, do u want to proceed?' So may I know the right procedure to manually partition the free space and what shud b the size of the respective partitions??
    ii) While installation, it everytime fails to load the GRUB 2, I ignored and proceeded which caused me to loose one partition with a lot of data as my computer cud'nt boot after the fail.
    ii) When i tried to ignore all the warnings and tried to install, after finishing installation, it says " installation failed, do u want to continue?"

I am very much in dilemma as what to do as I desperately want to install kali 1.0.8 to dual boot my system. Hoping to get answer soon, Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by hack-microbe View Post
    Just install without network and on another computer visit https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages in the search box that searches package directories search for ralink firmware and realeak firmware. Ensure that the ralink is 0.43-all and the realeak is the 0.41-bpo. This worked for me, Just ensure you edit the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to say true instead of false once the firmware is installed
    # This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
    # program, run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
    #
    # You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single
    # line, and change only the value of the NAME= key.

# PCI device 0x10ec:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/0000:03:00.0 (r8169)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="74:d4:35:b0:fc:$

# USB device 0x:0x (rt2800usb)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="fc:bd:be:ff:00:$

networking not workable too .

Hi there, may i please get the solutions stated above ? Am i posting in wrong section?
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by crack3r View Post
    ii) While installation, it everytime fails to load the GRUB 2, I ignored and proceeded which caused me to loose one partition with a lot of data as my computer cud'nt boot after the fail.
    I had this same error before I think it is a problem with the iso when downloaded the sha1sums don't match. To fix try re-download the iso file as a torrent and run them through http://onlinemd5.com/ (select sha1) and compare with the sha1 for the iso.

For manually partition youll need:

Swap partition (Logical, Swap format)
    use about 50 to 100 percent of your ram memory. Eg if you have 4GB of ram this partition should be be between 2GB and 4GB

Root partition (Primary, EXT4 format)
    Use however much you like as this is windows eqivelent of C: drive

Boot (primary, EXT4 format)
    use about 2GB for this.

If you want create another partition to store back up of config files you change as changing config files can destroy your OS

A tip for next if you didn't before back-up all data before dual-booting on the same HDD or unplug the HDD you don't want to affect if using separate HDDs (I recommend two HDDs if dual booting as neither affects the other if at the bios menu you choose which one you want to boot into.)

Thanks a lot hack, i will try those n give feedback. Regards.