Thread: Kali Linux 1.0.8 LVM full encryption Unable to Mount HDD (Unrecognized)

Kali Linux 1.0.8 LVM full encryption Unable to Mount HDD (Unrecognized)

Hello,

After I installed Kali Linux 1.0.8 with LVM full encryption on HDD, I CAN boot into my linux. However, when I tried to open the HDD- I get the "Unable to mount 120 GB Unrecognized One or more block devices are holding /dev/dm-0" I cannot mount it through the 'Computer' window as well.

I looked around the forum, there was many threads similar to this, some of them with no resolution or it was related to the issue where the user cannot boot into the OS. However in this case- I can boot in the OS and view the files and folders under 'File System'.

During the installation- I have used LVM full encrpytion installation and the all option for all the partition to be in one (beginner option).

Any guidance on this is much appreciated. I do apologize if this question has been repeated many times. Thank you!

Hi there,

A Kali LVM encrypted install will first create an encrypted volume (appears as dm-0) you can see this in your /dev/ directory

Once that's made it will place a volume group within the encrypted volume and then two logical volumes within that volume group (dm-1 and dm-2)

As you are booted in Kali, the encrypted volume was mounted when you entered your pass-phrase at boot time. You can't open it as it is already open and in use.

Run blkid from terminal and you can see the volumes mounted from the /dev/mapper directory

You could also run df -h and it will show /dev/mapper/kali-root and it will be mounted at /. It should have just about your 120GB of space in size to confirm it is already mounted.