Thread: Troubles at hard drive installation, cannot create ext4 partition on valid hdd

Troubles at hard drive installation, cannot create ext4 partition on valid hdd

Hi,

I had some troubles with Kali installation.

First I tried to install it on a persistent usb, but it didn't work (it wasn't persistent). Then I tried to reboot on windows, and my hard drives were in RAW file system. I tried to save them but didn't manage to and formated the two HDD.

So now I'm trying to install Kali on one the two format hard drives.

I have to say, the HDD works perfectly on windows as data storage.

So I launch the "install" option in the kali boot menu, then follow the steps til it comes to partition menu.

First I chose to do a manual partition, I format my first HDD, did a primary ext4 partition, I didn't touch anything else. Then I created a swap partition of 20gB, and press enter on the finished button.

Kali tried to create the ext4 partition but failed.

So I started again and used the "automatic" tool, to create a partition on the entire disk. It failed again.

I tried it on the second hard drive, same thing happen. It seems that my hard drives don't want to go with ext4 filesystem. I tried the ext2, it worked, but then crashed at the next step (system installation).

Do you guys have any clue about what's happening ?

Thanks

Sorry for double posting guys.

So I managed to pass the partion step. Actually I think there was a bug in GParted, so I did all my stuff with parted / fdisk and mkfs in command line.
    I created a first partition : 150gB primary EXT4

A second : 15gB primary with hex code 82 (actually unrecognizable in kali installation, dunno why), so had to be a swap.

A third one : all the left space primary with hex code b (so a fat32 to exchange data with windows system).

Then I launched again the installation process. This time, the installation didn't recognize the swap partition, and then asked me to create one. So I went back into the partion tool, ask it to consider the /dev/sda2 as swap, and tried again.

Installation told me that it would format the partition as swpa, I said yes, and ofc it crashed. So I went back to partition tool, ask not to use the swap partition, and launched the installation process without swap partition (I have 8gB ram).

This time it started installation, copying file.

Then it crashed with this screen :

(You can dl the image if you can't see enough).

So I dunno what to do next :-/
    Was it because of the lack of swap partition ?

If so, how can I do command line way to transform the partition into something recognizable by the installation process ? Is there another hex code than 82 for swap ?

Thank you for enlightments

Hi there,

Is Kali your only OS?

Few things. 20gb is a massive swap. Try 4gb.

If it is your only OS, boot the live cd and erase everything on the drive down to free space. Tell the installer to use the largest continuous free space.

If you want a manual partition, you need a swap partition of about 4gb and a root partition of the rest of your free space. Make sure you set the Mount points for / and select use as swap for the swap

Thank you for your answer.

It is not my only OS on this computer, but it's the only os on this specific HDD.

Actually, after that much failures, I found a nice laptop (used ofc), formatted the HDD, and installed Kali as my only OS.
    It's a very nice OS Though I burned my alfa AWUS036NHA using airodump-ng, but I think the card had a malfunction. I ordered a new one.

I have another question but it is not about installing anymore, so I'm going to create a new thread.

Thanks again.