Hey all,

I decided I would reinstall Kali 1.08 and go for an encrypted install as I'm sure some of us have considered. Catch was, this only supported the install if I used the entire disk. As I dual boot with Windows I needed another way.

The end result we are working towards is a dual boot Windows (I'm on 8.1) and Kali 1.08 where Kali is installed on an encrypted LVM.

Backup your drive before proceeding, it's easy to nuke anything while messing with partitions

My setup is provided below so others know it should work for them if they are similar, please post your experiences.

Laptop:
250gb SSD
EFI boot Windows 8.1
EFI boot Kali 1.07

What we will end up with is:
EFI boot Windows 8.1
EFI boot Kali 1.08 on an encrypted volume which contains a Logical Volume Group with '/' and 'swap' as separate Logical Volumes within it. This means our '/' and 'swap' are encrypted at boot time. /boot will be on a separate unencrypted partition.

Note
As mentioned above, /boot is mounted on a separate partition and is not encrypted. I am not an expect on the (if any) security implications of this setup. Please post if you have insight into this setup. From what I have seen, this is the same scenario generated by the Kali installer automatically if the entire disk is encrypted.

Note
Throughout, I will be working with a value of 95GB of free space. Adjust for your actual free space

Note (Applicable for EFI installers)
You need to be connected to the internet for this install. I found this out the hard way. While the 1.08 USB is EFI enabled, it does not include the .debs for grub-efi. Someone could determine all the .debs and dependencies required and place them within the thumb drive at /pool/main/ but it's easier to connect to the net.

I said it before and I'll say it again, backup your drive before you get started.

Overview
This covers:

a. Deleting the partitions from the old Kali install and leaving free space
b. Creating a Ext2 partition and setting the '/boot/' mount point
c. Creating an Encrypted Volume
d. Creating a Volume Group within the Encrypted Volume
e. Creating a Logical Volume within the Volume Group and setting the '/' mount point
f. Creating a second Logical Volume within the Volume Group and setting the 'swap' flag