Thread: HDD not recognized by BIOS after installing Kali Linux (Grub missinstall I guess)

HDD not recognized by BIOS after installing Kali Linux (Grub missinstall I guess)

Hi

Yesterday I tried installing Kali Linux 1.0.8-amd64 on a hard drive I had lying around (~13gb) using usb thumbdrive. During the installation I had two other hard drives connected with Windows 8.1 installed on one of those. The installation went ok, everything finished installing and rebooted. But after the reboot the BIOS no longer recognizes the hdd I installed Kali on. It tries to load it but fails. Tried disconnecting the other drives, messing with the jumpers, cables and BIOS. Can't seem to fix it. Unfortunately I don't have any other computers lying around at the moment to test if it's a problem with the BIOS or the drive. The thing I messed up I guess is during the installation, when Grub recognized that I had another OS: Windows Vista (I have Win 8.1) I pressed install on the main drive.

Do you have/had the same problems? If i accidentally killed my HDD and it's no longer fixable, I don't mind. I have a lot of small ones and no use for them. I can just pick one ant try again.

Thanks for you time trying to help me.

Ive never head of an issue like this from an absence of a bootloader, bios should see the drive whether grub is installed or not.

It sounds like an EFI secure boot issue, my guess is you have a new laptop with windows 8.

Go into bios, disable secure boot, start from scratch.

you may need to use a windows 8 disk to delete the current partition table on that drive, windows 8 "security features" make dual booting an extreme pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Hi
    ...But after the reboot the BIOS no longer recognizes the hdd I installed Kali on. ...
    If i accidentally killed my HDD and it's no longer fixable, I don't mind.
    Hi there.
    Your BIOS didn't recognize your HDD at all, or you can't boot on that HD?
    I don't think that your HDD is died. It looks like that something went wrong in the installation progress and you can't boot on that HDD. Why don't you try to boot from a live KALI to see if your HDD is recognized?
    Security always begins with personal responsibility. - quietman7