Thread: What is the purpose of apache2 and mysql in Kali Linux?

What is the purpose of apache2 and mysql in Kali Linux?

I'm wondering if there are applications requiring apache/mysql/etc as dependencies or if I am free to uninstall them to free up a bit of space. If anyone has any idea on this I would be very happy to receive however much info you have on it.

Musket Teams suggest you NOT uninstall apache2 at present. When using Kali 1.08 we typed;

apt-get install apache2

This updated or tried to install the apache2 program but made the existing apache2 in kali1.08 unuseable. Hence if you uninstall apache2 at present and find you need it for some application, you ?May? find reinstallation difficult.

Those using pwnstar 9.0 should heed this warning. The exiting apache2 program in K-1.08 works fine.

MTB

Quote Originally Posted by decadence View Post
    I'm wondering if there are applications requiring apache/mysql/etc as dependencies or if I am free to uninstall them to free up a bit of space. If anyone has any idea on this I would be very happy to receive however much info you have on it.

Apache is the webserver application, which you will need for setting up captive portals, webpages, etc etc.
    mySQL is a SQL-database management system, which is very handy, and required for a good deal of "funstuff" in Linux... e.g https://code.google.com/p/pyrit/wiki/Tutorial