Thread: Questions regarding Installation...

Questions regarding Installation...

Hi,

I am new on this forum, This is my first post!
    I've some questions regarding Kali Linux (I'm downloading it).

I am not a professional in Linux, I'm just a newbie. I first tried to Install Linux Mint dual boot alongside Windows XP and succeeded.
    The installation process of mint was **** easy.

To install that, I just use a partition software on windows to make some free partition and then while installing, Mint asks me to choose which partition i want to use. That was straight forward.

Now I'm downloading Kali Linux and after it will download, I'll remove Linux mint and will install Kali Linux. I just gave 40Gb to Linux Mint but will give more to Kali Linux (I'll free some partition before including the one on which Mint is installed).

While installing will Kali Linux will ask me to choose which partition I want to use. The partition which will be big have windows installed on it. I will install Kali Linux in the partition which will be small as compare to the other.

So Will it show me the big partition and the small one, So I can choose the small one to install kali on it.

*Currently I have 2Gb of ram. I don't think there will any problem?

Thanks,
    Omer!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterM1nd View Post
    Hi,

I am new on this forum, This is my first post!
    I've some questions regarding Kali Linux (I'm downloading it).

I am not a professional in Linux, I'm just a newbie. I first tried to Install Linux Mint dual boot alongside Windows XP and succeeded.
    The installation process of mint was **** easy.

To install that, I just use a partition software on windows to make some free partition and then while installing, Mint asks me to choose which partition i want to use. That was straight forward.

Now I'm downloading Kali Linux and after it will download, I'll remove Linux mint and will install Kali Linux. I just gave 40Gb to Linux Mint but will give more to Kali Linux (I'll free some partition before including the one on which Mint is installed).

While installing will Kali Linux will ask me to choose which partition I want to use. The partition which will be big have windows installed on it. I will install Kali Linux in the partition which will be small as compare to the other.

So Will it show me the big partition and the small one, So I can choose the small one to install kali on it.

*Currently I have 2Gb of ram. I don't think there will any problem?

Thanks,
    Omer!
    Hi there,

Before you post, make sure you have a look around to see if the answer you need is already here.

The requirements for installing Kali are here:

http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...d-disk-install

From what you have said, your computer will be fine.

As for the partitons, Kali will show both the large and small partition. However, you will need to manually partiton your system. This will involve creating the partitons '/' and 'swap'. Make swap 4GB and the '/' whatever is left.

Cool

Hi,

Thank you for replying. I've seen all the articles on Kali.org regarding installation.

Instead of doing it manually, I'll do the following.

1): If I have 500GB and windows is taking all of it. I will create 100GB for Kali Linux by shrinking C.
    2): After that a 100GB will be as unallocated space.
    3): I'll boot into kali linux (through USB) and choose Graphical Install.
    4): In partition disks section, I'll choose Manual and click on Continue.
    5): Then it will show me 2 or 3 partitions (one will have 400GB and the other will have 100GB). I'll choose the 100GB
    6): After it will ask me that how to use this space. I will choose Automatically partition the free space instead of choosing create new partition. I hope that choose automatically partition the free space won't ask me anything to enter amount for swap etc.
    7): After those steps, It will show me Yes and No options...

I was reading an article regarding to Dual booting kali with windows 7. In that the author chose NO option at the GRUB Boot loader to the master boot record. But I think I should choose YES.
    The author after choosing NO, manually /dev/sda5 in device for boot loader section.
    He said:

By default, the installer will want to install GRUB, the boot loader, in the Master Boot Record (MBR). However, for setting up this dual-boot system, we want GRUB in the boot partition. So, select “No.” Continue.

I don't think that Choosing YES will cause any problem. In that way too it will ask me to boot into the OS i want then Why I should follow the one shown in the article (of that author) and make everything confusing

Please tell me that by following the above steps, I'll be able to install kali linux dual boot with windows or there will be any problem ?

Thanks!

Whatever u do first make sure that u have downloaded the iso correctly and check it with right sha1 , otherwise it will give u a lot unnecessary problems. Regards.

Thank you for reminding me. I just had forgotten that but I've never done that before. Can you tell me how can I check?

Will the .iso (which I'm downloading will have same Sha 1 which is given on Kali Linux download page?

If yes then how can I check the sha 1 of downloaded .iso in windows )

Hi MasterM1nd

You can check the sha1 here: http://onlinemd5.com/ and the sha1 can be found here: http://cdimage.kali.org/ just click the version of Kali you have