Thread: Kali 1.0.8 EFI doesn't boot

Kali 1.0.8 EFI doesn't boot

Hi guys.....

First of all, thank you all for the hard work.
    My problem is that I made a USB stick with 1.0.8-64 bit.
    And I've tried everything' but I can't get it to boot.
    Used the recommended method with win32 image writer, rufus, Universal USB Installer etc., etc.
    In windows and in Linux.
    About 10 different methods.
    Used 6 different brands and sizes of USB sticks.
    Now W8.1 boots just fine from USB.
    So does Mint17, Ubuntu and G-Parted, so I know it's not my BIOS-EFI.
    But Kali won't do it.....
    I just get a black screen, without anything on it, not even a cursor.
    I've looked everywhere, and I only found one post on some forum where it was said there was a problem with the EFI.
    Is that true and should I just wait till this is solved or is there some fix for it?
    Would appreciate any feedback on the issue, it's driving me nuts.
    Thanks in advance....

Hal.

Hi,I can't boot it ealier either,but I found my solution.
    I use rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) to make the USB stick,then use 7-zip unzip the file efi.img in the folder [boot] to extract the EFI folder in the file efi.img,and then move the EFI folder to the root directory of the USB stick. I did these in Windows.
    Then enjoy it! My English is not good,hpoe you can understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyatom View Post
    I use rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) to make the USB stick,then use 7-zip unzip the file efi.img in the folder [boot] to extract the EFI folder in the file efi.img,and then move the EFI folder to the root directory of the USB stick. I did these in Windows.
    Thanks!!!!
    Will try this out.
    Be back in a bit......

Hi again....
    Tried it, and it still won't boot.
    The only difference is that I get a dark grey screen instead of a black one...
    Anyone else has this problem?

I thought it might be the iso that could be corrupt, even though I checked it.
    So I downloaded a new copy.
    1.0.8 wasn't there, it's 1.0.9 now.
    Downloaded it, made a new stick with Image writer and with Rufus.
    Tried it both ways and tried your method (extracting and moving the EFI folder)
    Still no luck, stil the same old dark grey screen........
    I'm about to throw in the towel.
    This really is incredible, I have absolutely no idea why this happens.
    As I said before, I have no problem booting Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Linux Mint16, 17 and Ubuntu.
    They all work.
    I made separate USB sticks for all of them.
    I'm getting bald here.
    Pulling my hair out........

I am joining the group...

Neither 1.0.8 or 1.0.9 when imaged to USB will boot.

Best I can tell is that the ISO image contains 3 folders and no configuration file outlining an install process.

I have not tried burning the ISO to disc to see if it boots because the laptop I am trying to install too does not have such a device.

Anyway, Would love to see a real solution.

J

Hi....

Good to see I'm not the only one haha.
    Anyway, I forgot to say that I've tried also to boot from an external USB CD drive with a burned DVD.
    Didnt work either.
    Thanks for posting and catch you later...

Hey guys.
    I installed kali-linux-1.0.9-amd64 onto a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB. With LUKS encrpyted persistence. with UNetbootin and it boots quicker than my desktop running kali.

The only trouble I had was a miss spelling of disk size. Had to start over..

However, I did find this on the forum forums(dot)kali(dot) / org showthread.php?271-How-to-EFI-install-Kali-Linux It might help you!

Try recreating the partition table on the thumb drive as gpt before you put the install files on there

I had a similar issue where the install menu wouldn't appear.
    The fix was to copy menu.c32 and libutil.c32 (/usr/lib/syslinux/...) to the isolinux folder on the USB stick.

My BIOS has UEFI mode with a Secure setting, then a Legacy (BIOS) mode.
    For some reason Legacy mode must be enabled for mine to boot Kali. Hope you get it working.

By using Rufus (on Windows) to create the bootable USB using the Kali ISO. Then followed this post https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...all-Kali-Linux I can actually get a USB with EFI to boot, and show a working menu. But for reason unbeknownst to me, when the Network configuration part comes up, wireless fails to authenticate, so I opted to go with ethernet to get through the install. Needless to say...it was a pain in the *** to have to go this route when its been posted that EFI USB booting finally works.

Everyone I've done has worked with simply Unetbootin, 8 gig. 4096 as persist flash the iso, mkdir etc/boot copy script and boot files to etc/boot and away you go.

I have noticed however it's fussy about when you format the 400m EFI partition. It will get knocked to do not use if set to boot first.

Make a 400mb part leave it, do your other ext4 and swap then come back and set it to efi and boot.

Quote Originally Posted by EXPL01T View Post
    I have noticed however it's fussy about when you format the 400m EFI partition. It will get knocked to do not use if set to boot first.

Make a 400mb part leave it, do your other ext4 and swap then come back and set it to efi and boot.
    can confirm. i had to do the same thing. partition efi and /. set up / and write partition change, then set up efi and write partition changes.

I also can not get grub install bootloader on my sda.
    I tired super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.02s3.iso but gat a black screen.
    Is there any HOWTO to make a rescue-Stick that installs the bootloader ?

I get (after installing Grub4Dos):
    [ 1.784307] --- end] kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) ]
    [ 32.187475] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
    on a nonPAE 586 machine at booting.

As Grub can not be installed on nonPAE-Hardware even with non-PAE-Kali.iso (what is a bug).

What shall I do ? Please help !
    Last edited by kalinopae; 2015-06-20 at 09:56.

You will definitely laugh after listening to this answer.....
    Problem is in the flag, dd tool makes two important partitions in usb drive,
    first one has boot and hidden, second one has nothing (which it must have).....both should have boot flag
    USE GPARTED to give the second partition a "boot" flag, and there you go............

In my previous reply I wrote something wrog like ..."both partition should have boot flag".....My bad..
    Boot flag in second partion does the work (only one partition can have boot flag)
    Use GPARTED or command line to give "boot" flag in second partition......
    IT WORKED FOR ME....

Is true that the 32bits version of Kali, "kali-linux-light-2016.1-i386.iso", works flawlessly & directly into the live mode, once extracted the files onto a folder in the pendrive & the paths of the menu.lst are right. Is a nice tool, but i still can't get to boot the complete version, "kali-linux-2016.1-i386.iso". To add a detail, before the screen goes black, with the mouse's cursor & the keyboard active, the last verbose mention displayed in the screen is "Start user manager for UID0".

The usb stick is a 16gb/NTFS file system (no limits about file's size & faster to load), grub4dos 0.4.5c installed. Lot of different linux & windows live systems runs charmly, also d.o.s. based tools.

This is the entry of Kali-Linux in my menu.lst:

title Kali Linux 2016.1\n Start Kali.
    kernel /kali/live/vmlinuz --ignore-floppies live-media-path=/kali/live boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali locale=en_GB.UTF-8 keyb=us splash noprompt vga=791--
    initrd /kali/live/initrd.img

As i've said, i can run the light version, but not the 2,8gb (complete version).
    Thinking about a problem originated in a bad setting of the vga value i've changed it from "791" to "normal", & to "788", did'nt work either...

I would like to know what i'm doin' wrong, or if the issue is caused by the big size of the kali folder. Is strange, i can't figure out why the light version runs & the complete wont.

Thx a lot in advance.

Hey bro i hope i am not late hahaha cus its been 2 years from this post but i think i know the solution for your problem ,
    go to your BIOS/UEFI and try to disable the secure boot .

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyatom View Post
    This worked for me. Thanks!

Hi
    If you use Rufus to burn the ISO to USB drive, make sure the option is "DD Image" in "Create a bootable disk using".
    I had the same problem and this worked for me.