Thread: No Sound after installed kali linux on arm system

No Sound after installed kali linux on arm system

Hi
    I just installed kali linux on a samsung arm chromebook model (model XE303C12-A01UK)
    Works great except there is no sound,
    Is sound supposed to work?
    I tried all the usual like turning up the volume and toggling sound of and back on but i still never get sound.
    Please help me
    Thankyou
    Custard

2. Last edited by soluck9x; 2017-04-13 at 12:03.

thanks for that
    Does that mean i not have the full installation?

I installed
    Kali Linux 1.0.9 Samsung Chromebook image
    from the url ....
    http://www.offensive-security.com/ka...mage-download/
    and then chose the image from the list.

I believe this to the the full version?

I also noticed that another arm version is advertised not to have sound and blue tooth not working
    I also don't have blue tooth working, but it does not say it does not work for the samsung chromebook on the kali website

Thankyou
    Custard

hmm still no reply after 2 weeks
    Maybe the developers can answer the question?
    Its a yes or no answer developers...
    Does sound work on a samsung arm chromebook? model XE303C12-A01UK
    Thankyou
    Custard

Unfortunately, there seems to be an issue with sound in the kernel right now. I'm still trying to track down the cause/fix.

Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    Unfortunately, there seems to be an issue with sound in the kernel right now. I'm still trying to track down the cause/fix.
    I know this is a year old but I'm having the same problem but with a slightly newer model [XE503C12-K012]. The architecture should be the same right? I keep thinking it is a problem on my end since there had to have been someone else who posted about the problem first but I've exhausted all my options at this point (using the usual Ubuntu tips and tricks for Chromebook).

Quote Originally Posted by slowsum View Post
    I know this is a year old but I'm having the same problem but with a slightly newer model [XE503C12-K012]. The architecture should be the same right? I keep thinking it is a problem on my end since there had to have been someone else who posted about the problem first but I've exhausted all my options at this point (using the usual Ubuntu tips and tricks for Chromebook).

Sound has been hit-or-miss - and I'm not entirely sure why. It may have something to do with the alsa ucm-config files - you can try pulling in these files - https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...nfig/DAISY-I2S but be warned that you MAY blow your speakers, or other bad things may happen.

They would go into /usr/share/alsa/ucm-config/DAISY-I2S - but iirc, they should be identical to what is already there - or it could be possible that the alsa bits that enable that aren't installed by default in the image.

Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    Sound has been hit-or-miss - and I'm not entirely sure why. It may have something to do with the alsa ucm-config files - you can try pulling in these files - https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...nfig/DAISY-I2S but be warned that you MAY blow your speakers, or other bad things may happen.

They would go into /usr/share/alsa/ucm-config/DAISY-I2S - but iirc, they should be identical to what is already there - or it could be possible that the alsa bits that enable that aren't installed by default in the image.
    Thanks for the reply.