Thread: Help with installing ATI drivers and software for Pyrit OpenCL

Question Help with installing ATI drivers and software for Pyrit OpenCL

So I just dumped BT5 and installed Kali Linux 1.0.9 32bit.

A couple questions:
    - How do I get the latest ATI drivers installed for my R9 280?
    - How do I get Pyrit working in OpenCL?

I have an ATI R9 280 and I want to get Pyrit working at full speed. I believe I should be getting around 105k PMKs/s? Experimenting with BT5 I only got around 51k.

There's so much confusion floating around the inet about installing the ATI driver, CAL++, SDK, and building Pyrit with the OpenCL addon.
    There's something about proprietary drivers built in for ATI? The ones downloaded from ATI's website won't work?
    All the how-to posts I've seen are for older kernels and older drivers.

My god. I see why Windows OS is so popular. In Linux it takes like 7 to 8 complicated steps just to install a graphics driver. In Windows you just download and run. And the steps seem to change with every kernel build.

As old as Linux is, you'd think they'd have created some type of automated install package like the other guys. All I'd like to do is run Pyrit on my R9 280. If they would have just made a port to Windows like Hashcat..

So someone goes through the pain of making a How To for their kernel and hardware, and it lasts for all of 3 months until it's obsolete. I think we need backward compatibility here.

Anyway. I've tried to follow a How To I found, but it didn't work for me since it was for 1.0.6. Argh...

While that is true, some of us like the challenge. Once you understand what you are trying to achieve and how the software is communicating with each other, it makes it much easier to bug find and make use of the older tutorials.

Make sure you read the change logs, they will get you every time. Support is dropped and added for hardware and software dependencies all the time.

For example, you need to install fglrx. I just had a look in the kali repo and it has the 14.4 driver in there.

You also need AMD APP SDK. Having looked at AMD, the latest version is v2.9.1. This version requires GCC 4.7.1 or later. Kali ships with 4.7.2 (Kali 1.0.9) so we are in the clear there.

AMD APP SDK v2.9.1 also requires you install the 14.4 AMD driver. Thats our fglrx 14.4.]

Now, CAL ++. This is old and has not been maintained. It's easy enough to install (blackmore wrote a guide about it) but from it's age, i'm not sure how well it still works.

To install the latest drivers, try an apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) && apt-get install fglrx-driver from terminal. This is supported by the 3.14 kernel we are running in kali.

Download the APP SDK from here:
    http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-s...ssing-app-sdk/

The Install notes have detailed installation instructions within them.

clone pyrit from the svn, after that, cd into the opencl folder and build pyrit with the python setup.py build && python setup.py install command.

One last thing, the drivers in the repo (fglrx-drivers) are the drivers form the AMD webiste. They are just pre-built to install correctly and can be automatically updated.

I've downloaded the ATI video driver 14.4 from ATI's website and installed it. But my video seems unstable and lagging. Everytime I move a window I get automatically logged out and have to re log back in. The video pastes very slow on the screen. Something ain't right.

The APP SDK install is very straight forward and easy. Download then install. I've verified the AMDAPPSDKROOT variable was set in the specific files, so the install did its job. Easy & done.

I seem to be running into problems installing CAL++. I've followed those instructions, and even tried the CAL directory fix someone had posted. That got me farther, but eventually ran into other errors. Issues with the cmake, make, and make install commands.

I was able to rebuild Pyrit while using BT5 before, so I think that's pretty straight forward and should just work as long as I could get all the other prerequisites completed.

So I think my main issues here are installing video drivers and CAL++. If they could just be as easy as a download and install then I would have been set days ago.

Ya know, I don't want to learn about the birds, bees, and the operation of Linux. I just want Pyrit to run at full speed built w/CAL++. Type in some commands and get it going. Is there somewhere I could just download a built version already and run it. Then I could get back to productivity. This whole process on installing a couple drivers and recompiling software is taking way too many days from me than it should.

Once it's up and running I won't be touching it for years. I'm thinking about putting BT5 back and trying to follow some tried and true how to's that have already been established. I don't mind if it's running BT 1.0, I just want something that works.

Linux is such an ache to me head.

The reason I want to use Pyrit is that I think the conversion from .CAP to .HCCAP may be breaking something. Ever since using Hashcat in windows I haven't had a single hit. I look to the past while using .CAPs & Pyrit and I've had a lot of success.

I just did an experiment in conversion from .CAP to .HCCAP. With one file I had 4 handshakes with one station and 1 handshake with another. Both "good, spread 1". Aircrack converted the file and decided to use the 1 capture handshake, while the on-line utility converted the file using the 4 handshake capture. Of course both tests were found during a pyrit experiment. But if if I had marginal and iffy capture, I wonder how that translates to a converted capture file, using either online or local.

I just ended up installing BT5 back and followed one of the proven how-to's.
    And in the end I'm only getting about 61k PMKs. oclHashcat is still the best at 105k. I'll just have to learn to like the converted file and try harder to get better captures.
    Thanks for the help anyway.

Skram, if you are still viewing this thread I've created guides in the how to section for installing both OpenCL GPU support and cal++ gpu support for AMD cards.

cal++
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...MD-Video-Cards

OpenCL
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...MD-Video-cards

The cal++ software seems to be more powerful. I put a comparison in my cal++ install thread.
    chown -R us ./base