Thread: Yagi TurboTenna

Talking Yagi TurboTenna

Has any one any experience using a Yagi with Kali, i'm currently looking at the 2200mW NextG USB-Yagi 11N WiFi Antenna. Ebay item code :- 161009334350.
    I saw this specific one on the gadget show uk, quiet some time ago, although the clip is still easy to find on Youtube. Would like to know really if they really do
    what they claim, or would you say they are a waste of time. Watching the clip did seem to show more wifi coverage, it would just be nice to know if there was
    anyone with personal experience using them on kali. Much appreciated.

http://www.danets.com/turbotenna/nextg-wardriving.php
    Nice find. The rt2800 doesn't seem to be supported by Kali..
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Wireless-Cards

It does support monitoring and injection.

Yeah I'd be interested in real life feedback also.
    Kali Linux USB Installation using LinuxLive USB Creator
    Howto Install HDD Kali on a USB Key
    Clean your laptop fan | basic knowledge

To buy or not to buy that is the question . Think i might just bite the bullet and grab one, see what difference if any they really make.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    .....The rt2800 doesn't seem to be supported by Kali.......
    It does support monitoring and injection and as a matter of fact it supports AP mode (see hostapd).

You can refer to this for supported drivers (monitor, AP, mesh etc):
    Existing Linux Wireless drivers
    Last edited by Nick_the_Greek; 2014-10-06 at 17:39.
    Security always begins with personal responsibility. - quietman7

dataghost Guest
    I use rt2800usb all the time its a great driver, mine is a 3070. Great card and good range. Yagi is ok I have used it before off ebay, sadly I use an alfa card with a WindSurfer scaled 6 times the original size and I get incredible range, Read up on the WindSurfer its crazy. Homemade and pennies to make

What sort of range are you getting dataghost and when you say yagi is ok, would you say its worth getting or waste of time.

dataghost Guest
    it depends if you are in a residential area, lots of houses or open area's, They boast a 3 km range which is bs unless its a perfect situation and no buildings around and your aimed at a condo complex. I built a parabolic dish thats incredible, its based on the design of the windsurfer and it blows the yagi away that there selling, another one i built using a small satellite dish and it works well, a cantenna directed at the dish. There is a lot better ones to buy, i have a 36dbi wifisky that I use also, its cheap and it works well, if you change the txpower for normal use on boot ---> http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how...0-dbm-0149606/ it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by skycrazy View Post
    What sort of range are you getting dataghost and when you say yagi is ok, would you say its worth getting or waste of time.

i checked out the wifisky, looks reasonable, i've also been looking a this one on ebay 271491653820. I've basically read the whole of the internet, regarding wifi range and to be honest it can be hard knowing what to believe and difficult to make sink in some times. The yagi took my interest when i saw a review on the gadget show, but not actually knowing any one who had or used one, makes it difficult. The parabolic dishes i've seen also on ebay 201059777688 would something like that coupled with an alfa be any better, yet less portable. At the moment i'm more interested in distance and kali compatability.

dataghost Guest
    you can make a yagi that will be awesome by doing the research, 271491653820 is definitely not 56dbi..... one usb port cant give that kind of power, you would need multiple usb ports. 201059777688 probably is 24dbi. Have you made a simple windsurfer with an external usb or alfa wifi adapter, you can also get stuff like a 9dbi antenna and use it on a alfa usb antenna, make a windsurfer to start and see what happens, if you double the size of it you get at least a 12dbi difference to start, mine is made from sheet metal and mounted to the roof and is a 4 foot parabolic dish made on the same scale. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WiFiSKY-N810-...item27e4a86360 i have this one and it works well, also change the txpower to 36 and you will be surprised, this can also be mounted to a parabolic dish and get crazy range, the metal back makes it directional so if you direction it towards a parabolic dish properly its amplified amazingly.

ok i'm inspired, i'll go the make it my self route, i know theres lots of guides, but i guess theres nothing like actually doing it to learn. I'll grab an alfa usb for the windsurfer and the wifisky, to go with a parabolic dish. see what happens, thanks dataghost you've been a great help.

dataghost Guest
    no worries, make the parabolic dish like i did, convert the image to pdf then raster it, when you print it in adobe print poster and adjust the size to say 12 sheets of paper and print and cut them out if you get confused let me know, and any help along the way send me a message and I can help.