Thread: Troubles booting from USB stick.

Troubles booting from USB stick.

I have a known USB stick that works well with all distros and window's OS's.

I tried burning Kali Linux 32bit and 64bit. Both refuse to boot off the USB device. Even though said USB device has been used to install Backtrack 5 r3 and Debian, Windows XP in the past on the same laptop.

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5825.

What happens is, I boot off the USB Kali Linux, The screen comes up black. with a blinking not a cursor but looks like "_" on the top left. I can't type with it, just blinks on this black screen. I can't even get to the menu that would say "Live, Install, Safe Install" etc, etc.

Tried using Rufus and win32k disk imager as well.
    Last edited by Eviscerate; 2014-09-17 at 21:19. Reason: more info.

To help you at a distance is difficult as you do not remove all the variables.

1. Did you previously have a successful boot from this usb stick on this computer?

2. Try another usb stick. Load with Win32DiskImager.exe and boot it live do not try to make persistence work. If it works then put in the persistence feature

3. If you never have booted a usb from this computer check your BIOS.

4. Make a CD of your kali-linux and see if it boots it could be your copy of Linux. We know all about Sha blah blah blah but this way proves it for sure.

Try a Hardrive install instead

Try a VMware solution.

Give us more detail and we will take a look at it again.

Musket Teams

Quote Originally Posted by mmusket33 View Post
    To help you at a distance is difficult as you do not remove all the variables.

1. Did you previously have a successful boot from this usb stick on this computer?

Yes and with the same USB drive, on diff Distros and Windows installs.

2. Try another usb stick. Load with Win32DiskImager.exe and boot it live do not try to make persistence work. If it works then put in the persistence feature

I can't even get to any Install / Live option on the menu, It's a black screen.

3. If you never have booted a usb from this computer check your BIOS.

I use the F12 boot menu, Like i used with every install on this specific laptop.

4. Make a CD of your kali-linux and see if it boots it could be your copy of Linux. We know all about Sha blah blah blah but this way proves it for sure.

I don't have a DVD/CD burner, this is not and option. I don't plan to buy one, there obsolete. Also the laptop's DVD drive does not work anymore.

Try a Hardrive install instead

I can't get to the menu of Kali Linux, Blackscreen.

Try a VMware solution.

I could, but the point of this laptop is to be dedicated to Kali and mobility. Also the laptop has very weak hardware, It would probably be highly sluggish. It can hardly handle running a OS as is.

Give us more detail and we will take a look at it again.

Musket Teams
    I have another question, I can install Debian just fine. Is there a proper guide to Install Kali tool's into Debian OS? I tried to follow a YouTube guide to install kali tools into Debain, It had some terminal errors and if i remember correctly it just did not work out well.

I have very minimal Linux experience. The only experience I have running Linux was a File server in the past. Also CentOS for a game server. Though If you could point me in the right place for a well documented Kali tool install for Debian. I would appreciate it, Thanks.