Thread: Nethunter tips for Nexus 7 2012

Post Nethunter tips for Nexus 7 2012

Hi all! After a day of NetHunter use I would share some tips I learnt the hard way
    Tested on Nexus 7 2012.

1. For anyone needing to keep the device under charge while using an external usb device, an Y-cable work well: however, remember to plug the Y-cable FIRST on the charger (already plugged into the wall), and NEXT to the Nexus device, otherwise the device doesn't start charging.
    2. If you need to crack for some time, to prevent the device going to sleep mode and cutting usb host, simply check, under the Menu button of Terminal Emulator, "Take Wakelock" and "Take Wifilock". Now you can turn off the screen while keeping the device active.

Anyone that has other advices please reply!

TIP: You can use monitor mode with the internal wifi card on the Nexus 7 (2012)!

Fantastic, I was woundering about getting power while using a dongle this morning.

I'm also looking at a 4 port usb "hub" I have in my drawer. It's a nice sleak bar with ports down one side and a male cable out one end. I'm thinking it'll fit nicely on the back of the case and provide multiple radios connected at once. With it being unpowered, I was woundering how the battery would hold up without a power source involved.

Quote Originally Posted by photonicgeek View Post
    TIP: You can use monitor mode with the internal wifi card on the Nexus 7 (2012)!
    Yes, with the bcmon app: https://bcmon.googlecode.com/files/bcmon.apk

However, I need to test this a little more...

Al3xG, I'm putting together my shopping list. Do you happen to have a link for your usb Y cable or a make/model? Is it one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Po...ds=usb+y+cable

hh2hx, i have one of those y-cables and it works on my devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Hh2Hx View Post
    Al3xG, I'm putting together my shopping list. Do you happen to have a link for your usb Y cable or a make/model? Is it one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Po...ds=usb+y+cable
    Yes, mine is like that.

Quote Originally Posted by photonicgeek View Post
    I'm having trouble getting monitor mode to work with wlan0 on my Nexus 7 2012. Any tricks to it?

airmon-ng puts the interface into monitor mode, but airodump-ng doesn't see anything.

And when I select wlan0 with wifite it looks like it puts the interface into monitor mode, but then just asks me to select an interface again, over and over.

The internal wifi card does not support monitor mode by default. You can check the bcmon project for more details.

Hey everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by Al3xG View Post
    Yes, with the bcmon app: https://bcmon.googlecode.com/files/bcmon.apk

However, I need to test this a little more...
    I as well. Installing the apk is fine, and using their menu options but i'm not sure what commands their script is executing. ill try and checkout the source and see what i can find if i can get some time later. out side of the apk's menu options nothing works right as they call upon some scripts that i havent found yet (mind you i looked for all of 15 mins..)

https://code.google.com/p/bcmon/sour...trunk/bcm4330/

could someone tell me if this makes any sense?

1. build source using build.sh from bcm4330>src>bcmdhd - push to android device /system/lib/modules/
    2. on android - su first then mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    3. insmod /system/lib/modules/bcm4330.ko
    4. chmod 777 bcm4330.ko (one way or another. cd /system/lib/modules/..)
    5. copy bcm4330_sta.bcmon.bin and setup.sh into same dir of your choice on android device.
    6. Run setup.sh to enable monitor /w injection? perhaps from within the kali chroot?

also could anyone confirm that if you install the bcmon.apk your usbkeyboard/HID support go out the window? im thinking the install borked the hid support on my device. bit more testing to do tho.

11. Thanks for the clarification. I found bcmon, but some of the forum posts had me thinking monitor mode on the internal wifi on Nexus 7 2012 was already supported in NetHunter.
    Last edited by soluck9x; 2014-12-18 at 14:04.