Thread: RNGD on Kali

RNGD on Kali

I was trying to create a PGP key last night in my Kali VM. It was 4096 bit, and I gave up after an hour of attempting to generate enough entropy. I even gave up on the 2048 bit as well after 30 minutes.

After doing a bit of Google searching, I found that a program called rng-tools can be used as a pool of entropy from /dev/urandom.

It definitely cut down the time needed to create PGP. If people are needing an RNG generator for things like VPN, SSH, and PGP keys, definitely look into RNGD. I generated a 4096 in less than a minute with RNGD started.

apt-get install rng-tools

rngd -r /dev/urandom

Our Teams have been working on trying to make a real random number generator thru bash to give us advanced notice of impending catastrophes.

For those that do not know this science suggest you read:

http://motleynews.net/2011/09/06/the...predicted-911/

Reference the use of

rngd

From what we understand you are reducing the true randomness which is why things speed up with PGP thus compromising your key. Furthermore try and get your pgp from outside the USA someplace like Sweden,Norway etc.

Anyway do not take our word for it go here.

http://uselessuseofcat.com/?p=312

We abstract this for your review

I need entropy NOW!
    If you are in an emergency situation and you are willing to accept the possible security consequences, you can configure a service to source kernel entropy from the pseudo-random /dev/urandom device. The service that does this called rngd (available in rng-tools in Debian variants, or rng-utils in RedHat variants). It is usually used to source entropy from a hardware RNG device, but it can be used in the same fashion with /dev/urandom. Use the following command to run this service on /dev/urandom:

rngd -r /dev/urandom

MTeams

How about Haveged ( Linux entropy source using the HAVEGE algorithm.)?
    Code:
    apt-get install -y haveged
    The entropy pool size in Linux is viewable through the file and should generally be at least 2000 bytes (out of a maximum of 4096).
    Check your entropy pool by running:
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
    This command shows you how much entropy your server has collected. If it is rather low (<1500), we should probably start haveged. Otherwise cryptographic applications will block until there is enough entropy available.
    Security always begins with personal responsibility. - quietman7