Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Nethunter for Nexus 4

Unhappy Install Nethunter for Nexus 4

Hi all.

I follow guide install NetHunter use nexus root toolkit. when finished, I only see the goolge icon and reboot loop.
    Next, I use NetHunter Installer to install and no luck.

I have same problem.

Anyone try and have have same problem?

Thanks.

You are the first one to try out the Nexus 4 and give feedback, which makes you the only tester so far.

Please let me know if you would like to work with me on the kernel to continue testing.

Here, try my thing... https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Linux&p=37477

It might help!
    If there is nothing else on your device, select restore to stock, THEN follow the nethunter installer.

@photonicgeek - I actually think it's a kernel issues because of the bootloop. But I still need someone to test...

Quote Originally Posted by binkybear View Post
    You are the first one to try out the Nexus 4 and give feedback, which makes you the only tester so far.

Please let me know if you would like to work with me on the kernel to continue testing.
    Yes. I want to continue testing. What information you need ?
    Thanks.

@photonicgeek - I actually think it's a kernel issues because of the bootloop. But I still need someone to test...
    A friend of mine has a nexus 4 and when he saw me having NetHunter on my Nexus 5 he was very interested. I will ask him if he wants to help you out

@iliass01 does your friend install sucessfully ? . If yes, please write for everyone how!
    Thanks.

hoanhdo - I would need to upload some test kernels for you first. Let me know what a good way to contact you. I'm also on freenode (binkybear).

@binkybear
    You can email to me.
    My email is [email protected].
    Thanks.

I can confirm install does not work. finishes with a boot loop. If you need someone to test let me know.

hi all,

ı have a nexus 4 and had the same problem, after the kali installation the reboots and goes into loop,

I used the windows installer tool, but during the install I had a problem and had to manuall install the Android stock (Which was easy by copy/pasteing the code from the bat file )

if any body has any updates ı would appreciate it )

Here is the first test kernel: http://d-h.st/bGA

just tried the new kernel. Still boot looping

Two more:

v2 is a modified mkbootimg.sh - http://d-h.st/Wcqn
    v3 is a clean kernel with just the default config (no ext wifi/bluetooth/etc) - http://d-h.st/MFO

I'm trying to determine if its the installer or the actual kernel.

V2 boots perfectly
    V3 boot loops (I expected this one to work)

amducious - Can you verify that the kernel installed on v2 (in settings > about > kernel version)

Looks like I was mistaken. The installer rebooted the phone and then froze. Keeping the same kernel version I had before 3.4.0-perf-ga6edd5e [email protected] #1 Wed Apr 16 09:33:17 PDT 2014

Here reporting the same boot loop issue in nexus 4 with the nexus 4 installer. Not sure how to install those kernels, but if any help needed, give me the explanation and i'll do it .

Hi
    I got the same result with the bootloop on my nexus 4. Do you need more tests with the v2 and v3 code? Or do you have all information you need for the moment?
    /pal

v4 - Switched to unleashed kernel.https://transfer.sh/X4Dj5/kernel-kali-n4-unleashed.zip

Also, this is an AOSP/Stock only kernel so it won't work on CM.

looks like v4 is still boot looping. Installed directly from TWRP and tried the Net Hunter installer

Anyone try to rebuild source code from github.
    I installed kali beside windows. I will try.

Good luck to me

I stuck the kernel in a different installer to see if it works:

https://transfer.sh/BETO8/unleashed-mod.zip

I still got a loop with this one binky.

That's a bit frustrating. Thanks for testing. I'll keep at it but let me hit the drawing board.

Thanks man, and let me know if there's anything in specific you would like me to test.

Thanks Binkybear,
    Is there a way we can get a usb searial console that early? To figure out any error messages causing the bootloop.

/pal

Fresh install of factory images for Nexus 4 from:
    https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Unlocked bootloader and rooted devices.

Device boots system partition without problem.

Installation of Kali Nethunter (for Nexus 4 experimental) from:
    http://www.offensive-security.com/ka...nter-download/

After installation of Kali Nethunter, device goes into reboot loop. Does not want to boot system partition, it just reboots itself.

If there's anyway I can help with debugging problem, let me know.

It seems to me that my nexus 4 has installed nethunter.
    Just followed the info for the nexus 5, but when it hangs on google logo i just restored the google image and now it seems to work

I also got the same result after using the windows installer on a 8GB Nexus 4. Any new ideas ? Thank you in advance for your efforts.

If you need someone else to test your kernel let me know binky because I have the same boot loop problem on my nexus 4.

I was able to install nethunter on my nexus 4 via Windows,when the phone stack at the google logo i just reboot in twrp mode that's just for the connection then from the NRT (nexus root toolkits) i restored the default google image, but something about monitoring mode of the wireless its not working properly

It's probably easier if I use someone else's installer now and just replace the kernel with my own. Here is the latest unleashed installer with the latest kernel.

https://transfer.sh/TEJgC/unleashed-91u-a1-aosp.zip

A bootloop doesn't really give me any information because it never makes to logcat. So it's really hard to tell what might be wrong (usually installer).

Hate to say it still just getting a boot loop. to make sure it was not an issue with twrp i switched over to cwm still getting boot loop. To make sure I was not doing something wrong I downloaded an unmodified version of "defcon-91u-a1-unleashed-AOSP_mako" it installed find showing "3.4.104-unleashed-91u-a1+ultimate@ion-pc #1 Mon Oct 20 00:44:11 EDT 2014" for the kernel. Keep working at it we all appreciate the work your putting in. I wish I knew how to help but I would have no clue where to start.

Thanks amducious. I'll start a new build tonight from google sources without any patches and go from there.

Hi there, any success story ? I got same problem with loop after installing Kali.. ;/

mibcadet - Testing continues. I rebuilt everything from google sources and applied a few patches (kexec, keyboard, otg):

https://transfer.sh/1aHa8p/n4-modbootimg.zip - extracted bootimg and replaced with kernel
    https://transfer.sh/aK7xZ/kernel-kali-n4.zip - Same kernel but without ramdisk (old zip format)
    Last edited by binkybear; 2014-10-22 at 05:29.

Hey Binky, I flashed this new files and it there was no loop.
    Now one questions just in case I did something wrong, I flashed the kali image then this files you provided.
    my storage shows only 5GB and most of it is used, is the rest taken by the Kali installation?

n4-modbootimg.zip - loaded/booted successfully - with kernel showing as (3.4.0-perf-gca429e9root@kali #1 Tue Oct 21 18:48:22 HST 2014)

Kernel-kali-n4 - looked like it worked but the kernel version was left as 3.4.104-unleashed-91u-a1+ultimate@ion-pc #1 Mon Oct 20 00:44:11 EDT 2014

so it looks like your first one "n4-modbootimg.zip" worked. but your second kernel "Kernel-kali-n4" did not load correctly.

amducious - Great to hear on the first kernel. At least we now have a working kernel. Thank you for your tireless testing.

hey blinky, have been trying like **** to flash the latest kernels you've been posting but keep getting the same bootloop. the only one that does not end up in a loop is n4-modbootimg.zip, but it just goes to gray after Google screen. does this issue have anything to do with secure boot being enabled? i've seen some other forums asking how to disable, but no solutions yet. i tried flashing back to 4.2.2 without any luck. are there any bootloop issues on the nexus 5? also, should we flash new kernel first followed by kali nethunter image or vice versa?

thanks!

New Install on nexus 4

Hi,

I'm in the middle of my installation when I came across this thread.

I'm currently installing using windows installer to my nexus 4. Should I change anything or is it okay to continue installation. ( Will it go the boot loop ?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pioneer11x View Post
    Hi,

I'm in the middle of my installation when I came across this thread.

I'm currently installing using windows installer to my nexus 4. Should I change anything or is it okay to continue installation. ( Will it go the boot loop ?)

Thanks
    Nvm... I got my answer

Now I need to find if pwn phone works..

Wish I could help you guys figure this out. I'm a newbie and would really like to try this on my nexus 4.

@pioneer11x - The kernel that comes with the Nexus 4 will send you to a boot loop. You can try installing the other kernel (modbootimg) a couple posts back after the installation is complete. (Go into recovery and flash zip file)

@monstorbak - Did you try the latest kernel and it didn't work? (post 41) I just need to know so I can try to shake out the problem. The fact that you were able to flash with modbootimg tells me it works. You shouldn't have to switch to an earlier android version. You can install nethunter and then try flashing the modbootimg if that kernel works for you.

Hi Binkybear, kernel-kali-n4-2 looped for me.

Thanks psicomantis.

I noticed the ramdisk size was slightly different then the original one I posted. I replaced this kernel with original ramdisk that did work:

https://transfer.sh/cVnvX/kernel-kali-n4-3.zip
    Last edited by binkybear; 2014-10-29 at 04:45.

Thanks psicomantis.

I noticed the ramdisk size was slightly different then the original one I posted. I replaced this kernel with original ramdisk that did work:

https://transfer.sh/cVnvX/kernel-kali-n4-3.zip
    Can't install this one through TWRP. No specific error message.

For some reason n4-3 is failing to install.

@pioneer11x - The kernel that comes with the Nexus 4 will send you to a boot loop. You can try installing the other kernel (modbootimg) a couple posts back after the installation is complete. (Go into recovery and flash zip file)
    I tired to do that, I can't copy the files from my PC to my nexus. I tried adb push , but it gave an error.. So I just flashed stock android back.

Thanks anyway..