Thread: Using Kali as Main Desktop!

Question Using Kali as Main Desktop!

Hi, it just a question i wanted to ask, How many of you using Kali Linux as your main Os ? on Laptops? I'am planning to give a try soon,

i Read a lot of feedback about it on internet people having drivers issue and stuff, but before i give a Point of view about it i would like to give a try myself .

Since i'am interested in penetration testing stuff, and programming i would not mind give a try ,

Any Point of view is most welcome .

I love Kali as a pentesting distro, but I wouldn't have it as my main OS. For me, it's just not suitable.
    OSCP
    --
    If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck; then it probably is a duck.

I have Kali as my main OS for my laptop. It is install on a 256g solid state hard drive. I LOVE it. It makes using the wireless cracking tools so much easier. Also if you have a lower end PC you will see a hudge performance boost because Linux takes no resources to run at idle. I now have windows 7 / windows 10 Virtual machines set up through VM box for all of my computing needs that I cant do in Kali and it works flawlessly.

I initially tried using Kali in a VM but I didn't have the components required to use the wireless hacking tools I.E the USB network card.

dataghost Guest
    I use Kali and Parrot OS as main distro's its based on Debian, so why not? If drivers are ever an issue install them. To each is own, its been my sole OS other than Parrot which is a beast as well. Faster in my opinion.

I'm more or less completely new to Linux, but this is essentially exactly what I am aiming to do.

I am currently dual booting with Win 7, but I want to be able to get rid of that as soon as I am confident I can accomplish what I need to do on Kali.

Having said that, my usage requirement on the laptop is pretty basic at the mo, anything else I use my desktop PC for.

Would be great to hear some general tips on what people have done to make Kali more useful as a general use laptop as well!

Quote Originally Posted by munit View Post
    I'm more or less completely new to Linux, but this is essentially exactly what I am aiming to do.

I am currently dual booting with Win 7, but I want to be able to get rid of that as soon as I am confident I can accomplish what I need to do on Kali.

Having said that, my usage requirement on the laptop is pretty basic at the mo, anything else I use my desktop PC for.

Would be great to hear some general tips on what people have done to make Kali more useful as a general use laptop as well!
    Thanks for feedback it nice to heard that people are not that scare to run it as main os

Here some source
    https://wraithhacker.com/using-kali-...as-my-sole-os/

Kali is great. It does what is meant to do very well. But there are things it doesn't do also. Like play DVDs, run certain Pc games, or work as a all purpose distro. I love kali, but I'm also wise enough to dual boot. Actually I have kali, backtrack, opensuse and windows 7 all on one laptop. They all work as intended. But kali is my favorite because I use it for what is for. .. The others are used for the same reason, to do what I need them to. Just keep in mind that a os has its perks and decide from a good and bad perspective.

Name Taken Guest
    I found that since Arch Linux is my preferred distro, it would be easier to add the BlackArch and ArchAssault repos to download just the packages I need, and even run it in a Docker container.

I endded up using it by accident really. I tri-booted my system with win 7, Fedora, Kali. I had been using ubuntu for 6 years now and I wanted a change, plus I'm working on my A+ certification (work related) and a linux + certification (not work related). Hence the win 7 and the Fedora.

I did try centos but I kept having issue with grub fedora worked right off so I went with it. I made a second user in Kali and use that for most of what I do. I like the look of it very minimalist desktop unlike all the clutter on the other two. I have pretty much been using it and win 7 for three months or so. Fedora is a little cluttered and harder to navigate IMHO then Kali. I'm running a 3rd gen I5 with 6 GB of ram so my system is fine on pretty much any OS to be frank. Still like the way it runs though.