Thread: Windows 8.1 & Kali in GRUB loader

Windows 8.1 & Kali in GRUB loader

Hello, last week i decided to reinstall my windows, but i also decided to install kali linux along with it. First i installed kali linux since i already had windows 8 and i couldnt install any secondary OS. After that i installed windows 8.1 and it deleted GRUB Loader, so i decided to repair/reinstall it. I entered kali linux from LIVE CD and did some commands ( cant really remember exactly what command ) which repair it and i was able to boot into kali linux from GRUB, but what i also notice is that my windows 8 opinion in GRUB was gone, i think i screw up my windows boot while i was fixing grub. So i launch a LIVE CD of windows and repaired it with bootrec /fixboot. It did the job but now again GRUB is gone, so im back where i started. I would like to know if there is a way to repair GRUB without screwing up my windows boot at the same time.
    What i remember i did was entered the command 'update-grub' and at the end it showed that it detected kali linux boot no windows boot. I also remember it said something like 'no volume groups found' i dont know if that is releted to my windows but thats the only thing i can remember.

Ok. Holy mother of paragraph.

If I read it right, you have windows working and booting (I assume in EFI) and no grub? so you have the partitions for Kali but can't boot into them?

If you are EFI booting, make sure you EFI boot them both. A few things need to be lined up right for this to work.

1. You want grub to be your loader.

2. Install windows first in EFI mode and make that work. Be it from boot repair or what not.

3. Live boot kali and mount /dev/sda1. It should be a small (~300mb) partition with a FAT file system. Make sure this has a debian folder and microsoft folder within the boot (or EFI directory) on this partition. No need to touch this partition again.

4. Install kali. Make a /boot partition with is 256MB (or just mount everything on / as it makes no real difference unless you want an encrypted volume.) This /boot partition is not you windows /boot partition which is what we mounted at /dev/sda1. The /dev/sda1 holds the required EFI files. The /boot has kernel stuff and other goodies.

5. Boot into kali now it is working, if you didn't tamper with the EFI partition, you should be able to run update-grub from terminal and it will detect the windows boot partition on the /dev/sda1 EFI folder. This will be added to the grub boot menu.
    chown -R us ./base