Thread: [HOWTO] Install Kali 1.0.9 in Macbook Air 3,2 A1369

[HOWTO] Install Kali 1.0.9 in Macbook Air 3,2 A1369

Hello,
    I was a reader of the forum since backtrack times and just want to contribute with some help for those are trying to use kali in the stylish MBA.

I managed to use Kali in my MBA without rEFIT or rEFIND, only grub is needed, is a live with persistence, and this is how to do it:
    1.- Open Disk Utility in your macosx and free enought space for the needed partitions (in my case, I need/want 20g, 4g for an efi partition + 16g for persistance)
    2.- download any live linux that can be booted from usb in MBA (I used lubuntu)
    3.- boot to live linux and use gparted for create one fat32 partition (4g in my case) and one ext4 partition with the rest of the free space (16g in my case)
    4.- go back to macosx, download the file attached (efi.zip , is the grub loader already tuned for boot kali)
    5.- download kali 1.0.9 64b iso file, change the name to kali.iso and save in your fat32 partition inside the efi folder.
    6.- reboot your MBA while keep option key pressed and select the second efi partition, kali will boot now.
    7.- from kali, go to the ext4 partition created in step 3 and create a file, name it persistence.conf, open it and write "/ union", save it and reboot.
    8.- boot again to kali using option key and enjoy your kali linux with persistence.

Notes:
    If you want to place the kali.iso file in other folder or with other name, remember to change the file /efi/boot/grub.cfg to point to it.
    While booting will be no splash and will be some artifacts.
    Mouse icon is cut to half size (don't know why and I don't care XDDD )
    I choose to make the fat32 partition with 4g for grub plus the size of the kali iso, if you want to add more isos to the grub menu you will need a bigger partition.

Good luck.
    best regards

PS. can't attach the file, here is the link to it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7h...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks for taking the time to post this!
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

my pleasure,

There are things to improve, is not a perfect solution, but a good way to start.

An advice to testers, kali has not control of the fan speed in the mba, be carefull and don't stress the system until is fixed.

thank you so much pro , is that will install it to hardDrive or just a live ?

Quote Originally Posted by unique View Post
    thank you so much pro , is that will install it to hardDrive or just a live ?
    following the post1 is live with persistent, but I managed to install it and boot it directly from hdd: (I will prepare the howto)
    delete the persistance addition from grub.cfg in vmlinuz line
    boot and install to your ext4 partition without installing boot manager (install will complain about swap partition, if you wish, go back and create it)
    afetr install open a terminal, type blkid and write down the uuid of the partition where kali was installed
    change your grub.cfg as next changing your (hd1,gpt4) and UUID to fit your config:

set default="0"
    set timeout=3

function load_video {
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
    insmod all_video
    }

load_video
    set gfxpayload=keep

set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray

menuentry "Kali from hdd" {
    insmod part_gpt
    set root=(hd1,gpt4)
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set f2be861d-2c7a-45a1-84c5-92f6cfbd295d
    linux /vmlinuz noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali root=UUID=f2be861d-2c7a-45a1-84c5-92f6cfbd295d quiet
    initrd /initrd.img
    }

menuentry "Kali live from ISO" {
    iso="/efi/kali.iso"
    bootoptions="findiso=$iso boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali quiet"
    fix_video
    search --set -f $iso
    loopback loop $iso
    linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz $bootoptions
    initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
    }

Hi, i am happy to see your method ,but i have my own problem maybe you can help me?

i used lenovo ago,and install kali without a problem.
    these days i but a MBA (2012 model md231) and i want to dual-boot kali and mas os x .
    i saw kalidocs and follow that method(using rEFInd) .but i am stuck at install grub. I search a lot and lot but i don't solve it yet . i am not abled to configure refind.conf and i have nothing no about refind. maybe you can help me . thanks for lot !!!!! i have already think MBA is suck .....

sorry, I was abroad
    I have no longer the mba3,2 I have now a new one
    I will try to install on it and let you know how to do it.
    DonĀ“t say is suck!!!! is the best piece of art, elegance and performance for size ever.