Thread: Kali linux won't boot into GUI

Unhappy Kali linux won't boot into GUI

Thank you everyone in advance for help, I am new of the forum

I have a big problem, I canceled something and now when start Kali, I see the black screen and , root and password in strings, some one can help me I have alot of material inside.
    This is what I believe to have canceled ( dist )

# apt-get update
    # apt-get upgrade
    # apt-get dist-upgrade

Upon restart, Kali will not start normally, it appears to me the GUI where just log in, and the desktop!

I get a terminal, where do root login, after I hand in the terminal, where I can also connect to the Internet, but do not you start your desktop!

Unless you give us specific logs and various error messages you receive there's not much anyone can do to help you. Also a general tip, before any type of upgrade you want a backup (this applies to any system).

I would suggest you start posting some logs or if not try to reinstall the window manager.

I have this issue to. There are no errors, just boots to CLI. I tried reinstalling gdm3 and it looked like it was ok. I then run gdm3 and I get a really barebones log in prompt. When I log in, all I have the mouse pointer.

I am getting ready to uinstall/reinstall Kali. If there is a way to avoid this, let me know what is needed and I will post it here.

Thanks!

Post some logs regarding the issue.
    I have the same problem. I just installed kali linux 1.0.9a and did apt-get update. After reboot i am unable to open the GUI. My error is

systemctl: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgpg-error.so.0: no version information available (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.so.20)
    Last edited by pavan532; 2014-11-15 at 13:59.

Has anyone solved this is it a bug?