Thread: .TXT convert to .LST

.TXT convert to .LST

I have recently gotten back into the wonderful world of pentesting.I had at one point a very large password list file. I went out and downloaded a new one last night but seems that all I can find is .txt files so I wondering will a .txt file work in aircrack-ng or do I need to convert it to .lst? If I do need to convert it over how do I go about doing it? Thank you all for any help.

Text files work fine. You say the file is large therefore you will need to find a way to save the attack in stages as brute force can take a long time. We suggest you pipe dictionary files to aircrack-ng using John the ripper and use JTR to keep track of your attack position in the file. There is a thread in these forums on how to do this. Except for very small dictionary files using aircrack-ng only is not a viable option as once you shut the computer down you loose the position and have to start all over. If you want to do numeric strings use a crunch-aircrack-ng passthur. Crunch can also keep track of your position thru the -s command.

MTeams

Quote Originally Posted by black_box View Post
    I have recently gotten back into the wonderful world of pentesting.I had at one point a very large password list file. I went out and downloaded a new one last night but seems that all I can find is .txt files so I wondering will a .txt file work in aircrack-ng or do I need to convert it to .lst? If I do need to convert it over how do I go about doing it? Thank you all for any help.
    Yes you can also use .txt files (windows OS version of plaint text file) for piping into aircrack-ng..you don't really need to convert to .lst (Linux version of Plain text file).. just change extension of file to ".lst" since it is a plain text file...if you created a dictionary in notepad in window OS you will need to convert to unix type plaint text..this can be easily done using the "dos2unix" command built in kali linux..

For some reason everytime I try to use a .txt file it still doesnt work, but I have found that if I just put the .txt file into my windows machine and open the file then re-save it as a .lst file then it works wonders. Thank you guys for the replies.