Thread: Questions on Which Hardware Option

Question Questions on Which Hardware Option

Looking to improve my awareness of network operations and pen testing. I've made use of BackTrack and Kali in the past and having it more portable than even a laptop is very attractive.

I've read a bit on the Galaxy Note 10.1 being able to run Kali... and then I came across NetHunter.
    I was wondering for those who have used either what your thoughts on the Pros/Cons are for Galaxy Note 10.1 w/ Kali, Nethunter on a Nexus 10, and Nethunter on a Nexus 7.

Also are there any other notable options that I should be considering?

A bit is a simple and generic question but since i don't have a tablet yet and would be getting it for this purpose, your suggestions will be appreciated!

Hi IslandKinsman,

I'm using NetHunter on my Nexus 10 and I'm happy with it. I guess one of the pros is that Nexus are the "Supported Devices".

regards
    ports
    --
    Software failure! Press left mouse button to continue.
    Guru Meditation #8100000A.000FEA00

Hopefully soon we'll have Kali NetHunter support for the Nexus 9 and 6 devices as well.

Well, the big benefit of NetHunter over Kali (Installed via Linux Deploy or whatever) is that there is a Menu with a lot of attacks made readily available. That, and it is a custom build of Kali that is built specifically for this project. AND it has a custom kernel that allows the device to act as a keyboard/mouse to crack passwords, start payloads, and more.

Definitely a plus! Thanks all, decided I will go the NetHunter route. Now I just need to decide which sort. I've looked into the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7. Both are by 'Google' though it looks like the 10 is partnered with Samsung and the 7 is partnered with Asus? I trust Asus a lil more than I do Samsung... I've had issues with samsung's phones before (hardware). It looks like the 9 is from HTC.

How does the hardware experience compare for the 7 and 10 when using NetHunter? And does it looks like the 9 will have any notable improvement? More interested in the tablet side at the moment so not looking much at Nexus 5 or 6.

Well the N10 has a dual core 1.5 GHz Exynos, the N7 has a quad core 1.5 GHZ Snapdragon S4 Pro. Number of cores alone is a good enough reason! It is more portable as well! I have 3, and I'm getting the Nexus 9 here shortly! :P

Hey photonicgeek, nethunter is the decision point on whether I buy a Sony Tablet Z2 or a Nexus 9. Would it be possible to install nethunter on the Sony Tablet?

We wont be supporting the Sony Z2 any time soon.

Thank you very much muts. Nexus 9 it is then.

Welcome. Keep in mid that we don't actually have a Nexus 9 image yet....it will take us some time to receive our device...then build Nethunter for it.

How's the Nexus 9 compare to the newest Nexus 7? A bit more wary of HTC than I am Asus. I have a good bit of confidence in Asus. Also, as far as keyboard support for them, any recommendations? I thought i heard bluetooth wasn't supported quite yet for NetHunter but I'm not precisely sure.

HI

I am guessing their is no google / nethunter supported phones with physical keyboards?

No interested in a tablet.

Kind Regards
    ShenLun