Hey everyone,

I'm new to Kali and have only taken a one week course using the beaglebone, but I figured I'd try getting them working together since there's a prebuilt image! My problem is extremely basic. I want to get an SSH (or other) connection to the device to start playing with it, but everything I do is refused or otherwise doesn't work. I've tried:

1. Installing the Beaglebone drivers and connecting as I have in the past via 192.168.7.2
  2. Connecting via putty via a direct ethernet connection
  3. Connecting via usb (tried all my com ports)
  4. Plugging ethernet into my router to DHCP an address and connect that way (no address is ever assigned)
  5. Wiresharking the direct connection to see if it's even attempting to get an address (it isn't)
  6. Assigning a static IP to my ethernet interface and connecting to that address

If I had a mini-hdmi cable this would be a lot easier I'm sure, but I don't. Given the default beaglebone image, is there an easy way to connect over serial or ethernet by default? I'm running on Windows 8, but I'm happy to install a VM if necessary to get the connection running. I feel like I'm missing something really simple.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! If I can't get it working by the end of the day, I'll just order a mini-hdmi cable and be done with it.

Thanks!