Thread: Blinking Cursor of Death when trying to install

Blinking Cursor of Death when trying to install

After trying for several hours to get a Live USB to boot, I made it work. I can see the screen which gives options to boot to a Live USB, Install, Graphic Install, etc. The problem is that none of these work. I press enter, and there's a blinking cursor in the top left corner, forever. Let me outline what the case is so far

1. known good USB flash drive
    2. known good ISO
    3. known good hardware [Lenovo IdeaPad z710]
    4. 64 bit version of 1.0.9a
    5. there is a loud beep when: the machine first boots to the screen, I scroll to the end of displayed list items on screen, I scroll to the actual end of the list, I select an item.
    6. I tried re-redownloading and rewriting it with Win32DiskImager.

If there's any more information I can provide, please let me know, I am very much a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by longooglite View Post
    After trying for several hours to get a Live USB to boot, I made it work. I can see the screen which gives options to boot to a Live USB, Install, Graphic Install, etc. The problem is that none of these work. I press enter, and there's a blinking cursor in the top left corner, forever. Let me outline what the case is so far

1. known good USB flash drive
    2. known good ISO
    3. known good hardware [Lenovo IdeaPad z710]
    4. 64 bit version of 1.0.9a
    5. there is a loud beep when: the machine first boots to the screen, I scroll to the end of displayed list items on screen, I scroll to the actual end of the list, I select an item.
    6. I tried re-redownloading and rewriting it with Win32DiskImager.

If there's any more information I can provide, please let me know, I am very much a novice.
    Have you tried formatting your flash before using win32 diskimager? I was experiencing some setup installation problems but after i format my usb flash, i noticed that the installation process was successfully completed. Probably you can try a nice little tool called "HP USB Disk Storage Format" which is free software or just use windows built in formatter.

the "beep" you got is the POST (power on self test), but it seems like you noticed it, more than normal? I ask because you do not mention any of the steps you may have taken in BIOS changing your boot order, UEFI and Secure Boot on that machine, etc. You may have to assign and enter a BIOS administrator password so you can disable SecureBoot under the Bios Security page/tab. then f10 to writeout and save. it's more related to your laptop than to your Kali image or usb drive (if this is the problem). you may find this helpful: http://www.linlap.com/lenovo_ideapad_z710

I don't think the UEFI and Secure boot would affect the installation process..the security boot feature would usually verify operating system (an installed operating system) or live image that it considers to be "Authentic"...if the installed system is "unauthentic" you will recieve the security boot message that the OS is invalid....you have no problem booting the usb flash which intiates the live ISO image successfully (Kali's Installation Main Menu)..correct??..nevertheless, this is just my understanding of UEFI......you can try disabling security boot (if your bios have this option) and see if it solve your problem..worth a try...