Thread: installing kivy no joy no love.

installing kivy no joy no love.

I've been a good boy and tried to find the solution all by my little onezies. Fail.

I followed the instructions on this page http://kivy.org/docs/installation/in...essie-or-newer
    to install kivy.

Trouble is that when I type 'apt-get install python-kivy' I get the following output.

Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     python-kivy : Depends: python:any (>= 2.7.1-0ubuntu2) but it is not installable
                   Depends: python-kivy-bin (= 1.8.0-stable0+201409160726~dailypkg43~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    The main thing that comes up here (for me at least) is the last line "...broken packages"

So looking around I found out there was a "Fix Broken Packages" button in synaptic. Sounds good. Press that button and synaptic says "Successfully fixed dependancy problems." Sounds even better. That's what we like to hear.

Fail.

As far as I can tell (and my knowledge of the subject is minimal) the problem seems to be when looking for the python dependancy. But Python works just fine as far as I can see. I also can not 'apt-get install python3-kivy'.

I've plowed through forum posts but not really come up with anything I can understand or that applies to me directly. Would love some suggestions because I really want to use the kivy library. It's cool.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2014-11-15 at 02:08. Reason: Add more information

Kali is based on Wheezy. The title of that install guide is "....debian-jessie-or-newer". Reading helps.

This is true. Reading helps. But being new it's easy to get lost in an ocean of detail. Especially when you have little clue as to what the detail all means. And so we have forums. Thank you for your kind assistance.

So I guess now I am left with no choice but to install from source. I wonder where I might find a guide for installing packages from source?

And finally I see a little line that I'd overlooked before because I didn't know what it meant.

Notice: Wheezy is not supported - You’ll need to upgrade to Jessie at least!
    So... does anyone have any suggestions for how I should proceed here? There's lot's I don't understand about linux builds etc etc. Is it possible to upgrade Kali to a jessie based build? Does that question even come close to making sense? Do I have to ditch my hopes of being able to develop programs using kivy while working on a Kali machine? Is that a contexually correct question?

"not supported" does not mean "not possible". it means you are on your own and don't bother asking for help or tech support via normal channels. adding additional Third Party repository to /etc/apt/sources.list is required in this case, and is never recommended because most users will break their Kali install; and then request support fixing what they have broken. I was able to do this install pretty easily using a little bit Synaptic,a little pip, and the instructions on this page of the kivy.org website. http://kivy.org/docs/installation/in...ion-linux.html

kali can be an "everyday OS" Linux; but that is not it's real aim or purpose. As someone new to Linux, you will be making it alot harder on yourself; and setting up a Dual-Boot is very easy using Grub or even LiLo. this is one of the nicer articles available about installing from source on debian linux: http://www.aboutdebian.com/compile.htm . Get used to reading

hopefully this helps you out some.