Thread: Dual boot Macbook Pro

Dual boot Macbook Pro

Well, please forgive the new guy for yet another "I can't get Kali to install" thread.

I am trying to dual boot a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.10 Yosemite. I am simply going to list the steps I have taken and hope someone is willing to help me out here. I have never dual booted a Mac and realize I may be missing something obvious here. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out.

1). I am running a clean hard drive, it was erased prior to beginning this process. The computer is a 2010 Macbook Pro.
    2). I did create a partition using Disk Utility, the second partition is the default named Macintosh HD 2
    a). Mount point: /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2
    b). Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    c). Has a capacity of 58.33 GB and an available 58.17 GB
    3) I then installed rEFInd using --esp and following the additional directions for installing under Yosemite
    a). Using: sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/esp to ensure it was mounted kept saying it was busy, but
    b). after removing the commented out dont_scan_volumes line of the config file and removing the "Recovery HD" portion (I did add the dummy entry of foo,bar (just in case).
    c). The computer does successfully restart and boot using rEFInd (first win for the day)

This is where the problems began.
    4). I downloaded from the Kali website the Kali Linux 64 bit ISO (Direct ISO) file
    5). My first attempt was burning the ISO to a dvd
    a). The first burn failed. New disk burned and verified.
    b). Rebooted into rEFInd, only my Mac OSX partition shows. Pressed ESC multiple times to reload once the DVD was spinning fully, nothing.
    c). Figured the installation medium was not supported (or I did something wrong already), so I rebooted into OSX
    6). I created a bootable Kali Linux USB key following the procedures on their USB Install page
    a). Unmounted the USB drive
    b). Tried to use sudo dd if=kali-linux-*.iso of=/Volumes/nameOfUsb bs=1m to image the ISO file over this DID NOT work
    c). I had to change the sudo command to sudo dd if=kali-linux-1.0.9a-amd64.iso of=/Volumes/nameOfUsb bs=1m this seemed to work. It took a little time, but it did appear to write and displayed the amount of information transfered.
    7). I then removed the USB and again shutdown the computer and restarted into rEFInd
    8). I plugged in the USB and the option to "Boot Legacy OS from Fat volume" does display next to the "Boot Mac OS X" option
    a). However when I select the "Boot Legacy OS from Fat volume" option, the green light on the USB drive turns off and I get this message, "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

Thus, I am kind of stuck at this point. Again, I am appreciative of anyone willing to help. I have looked around and read multiple "walkthroughs" on installing Kali, but I keep getting to this point and never getting to the Kali boot screen. Thanks again in advance.

Hi King !

Same pb here ! Since upgrade to OS X Yosemite, it never succeed to Dual Boot OS X & Kali latest version.
    As you said, working on DVD to boot was more successful than USB key, dont know why !
    I've spent hours on that, didnt find any convincing tracks to follow...

Let me know if you finally achieved it !
    Bye

Hi guys,
    I had same problems and finally found a solution.
    I made a quick step by step in french there http://adrienfuret.fr/dualboot-yosemite-kali/ but if you need more help to translate please let me know.

Hi everyone!
    i got an old iMac running yosemite n trying to install via usb or dvd d kali iso...did everything recommended on kali official site but still get d message:"not found from legacy loader"...."not found from locate device path"....i don't know if 1 partitioned wrong....or what....3 days trying....what else i can do?

you have to follow the part where you will use gdisk. Boot in with live kali and fire up gdisk command. It will fix the table in refind for you.

install refind to the root directory of your boot drive. I found that if i install refind to an esp directory, i get nothing but boot grief.

Hey Guys i know its a little OT but i managed to install Kali without any Problems on My MBA 6,2
    The only REAL problem: I can't get my AC-WiFi-Adapter to work. I made it 4 mons ago @Ubuntu 14.04
    but @Kali it always responds with not installable dependencies. bcmwl-kernel-source cannot be installed either.
    If i use apt-get -f install as term suggests it installs the kernel-source but its not usable
    Any Idea?

Thanks and greetings
    Raphael