Thread: Black screen after grub with kali linux 1.0.9 intel hd4600 + nvidia gtx870m

Black screen after grub with kali linux 1.0.9 intel hd4600 + nvidia gtx870m

Hi,

Thanks for reading this post,

After succesfull install kali linux i can not boot into it, when i select the correct boot entry, the screen become black. Its not freezing so it gfx related.
    I have tried to edit the boot lines with nomodeset, acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi="Linux" and try them in combinations aswell.

The only way i can boot into kali is using ubuntu its grub version. No problems with that. but i dont want ubuntu.

So can someone please look into this and give me some options.. Its too challinging for me ive read alot forums but i cannot let it boot without ubuntu.

I have both kali boot folder and ubuntu boot folder uploaded.

Kali:
    initrd.img-3.14-kali1-amd64
    vmlinuz-3.14-kali1-amd64
    config-3.14-kali1-amd64
    System.map-3.14-kali1-amd64

Ubuntu:
    initrd.img-3.13.0-39-generic
    config-3.13.0-32-generic

Kali grub.cfg:
    http://pastiebin.com/546cb75b8c54f
    Ubuntu grub.cfg:
    http://pastiebin.com/546cb73a9bf8f

*bump*bump

Im not into code but i may be able to help.

Options:

1. Format the drive and reinstall.
    2. Try a different version of kali.
    3. Keep it on a usb with persistence and use your hard drive as a huge storage device.

i suspect that an error popped up during the grub set up. I would use option 3 because its easier, more freedom and your not tied down to one computer.

If this is a fresh install and you have nothing important on there, I would be inclined to agree with L-Dog23 and attempt a format and reinstall. I'd also suggest you start from absolute scratch - redownload the .iso and burn onto a new disk (or follow whichever method you chose to install it before), in case it was an error in any of those steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Machia View Post
    If this is a fresh install and you have nothing important on there, I would be inclined to agree with L-Dog23 and attempt a format and reinstall. I'd also suggest you start from absolute scratch - redownload the .iso and burn onto a new disk (or follow whichever method you chose to install it before), in case it was an error in any of those steps.
    This is from scratch, i know ubuntu uses a newer beta version of grub. I think thats the whole reason it doesnt work with the kali linux.

Anyone got a ideau how to get a extended desktop screen with this setup? I cant get kali reconize the hdmi