Thread: Nexus 7 Internal Wireless & Nethunter

Nexus 7 Internal Wireless & Nethunter

I have just installed Kali Linux Nethunter on my new Nexus 7 (2013, Wi-Fi). It is running Android 4.4.4. Nethunter has good installation instructions, but there is an appalling lack of information on how to proceed after that.

For example, I want to run "Reaver", but after using "Kali Launcher" and going to "Launch Kali Menu in Terminal", I selected "q" to exit to the command line, and then typed "iwconfig". As explained with other instructions, Most systems' wireless LAN interface wil be 'wlan0'." But not the Nexus 7; the result on my machine is 'p2p0'.

I then experienced problems simiiar to this person:

"nexus 7 2012 wifi issues wifite"

"wifite looks for wireless devices and finds

1. p2p0 unknown bcmsdh_sdmmc
    2. wlan0 unknown bcmsdh_sdmmc" ...

The response:

"The internal wireless card will not support injection or AP mode. You will need an external wireless card connected via OTG. This device will be labeled as wlan1."

Is this REALLY true? If so, I would never have ordered the Nexus 7 in the first place. I am just as surprised as this person:

"can't use any wifi related attacks with Kali nethunter for Nexus 5"

"I thought it was possible to put the internal wifi card of the nexus devices in monitor mode."

As did I. If the Nexus 7 doesn't natively support wireless attacks (even though the device can find dozens of networks within range), why couldn't this information be included on the "Preparing Your Nexus for NetHunter" page?

Just in case it IS true, I have ordered the TP-LINK TL-WN722N. Am I going to need a special cable to connect this device?

NetHunter requires a USB Wifi adapter for wireless attacks. The TP-Link TL-WN722N should work well. You will need an OTG cable as well. I have a 2013 Nexus 7 and TL-WN722N and the Nexus 7 seems to be able to power the USB adapter just fine. You can also get a Y OTG cable that will allow you to charge your Nexus 7 while using the USB adapter.

The 2013 Nexus 7 does not support monitor mode. The 2012 Nexus does have some monitor mode support via a third party driver, but it is no longer being developed and doesn't work with Nethunter.

As of this time I dont think there are any devices that are able to use their internal wifi in NetHunter for wifi based tools.

Most internal WiFi chips are not compatible, I bought my Nexus 7 2013 from amazon as refurbished for cheap and bought along the TP-Link TL-WN722N And it works great!

I use it with an external battery pack https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

And This OTG cable which works amazingly and you can connect Mouse/Keyboard/USB/Router all at once AND CHARGE https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@outofbounds: Why do you mention the n7 2013 does not support monitor mode if a working usb interface is used? Wifite will put the tplink 772 in monitor mode. All this means is that packets can be sniffed without associating to the AP; did you mean something else perhaps?packet injection or permiscuous mode... I haven't had any problems (other than power/amplification obviously) capturing handshakes with the n7 2013.
    or did you simply mean the internal broadcom chipset; which is basically useless other than standard connectivity?

@bewinxed, that is a good tip on that particular battery. thank you, I have been looking to upgrade and that one seems like a good solution.
    Last edited by clone; 2014-11-28 at 05:21. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    @outofbounds: Why do you mention the n7 2013 does not support monitor mode if a working usb interface is used? Wifite will put the tplink 772 in monitor mode. All this means is that packets can be sniffed without associating to the AP; did you mean something else perhaps?packet injection or permiscuous mode... I haven't had any problems (other than power/amplification obviously) capturing handshakes with the n7 2013.
    or did you simply mean the internal broadcom chipset; which is basically useless other than standard connectivity?
    Yes, I meant the internal Broadcom chip in the N7 2013 can't do monitor mode. As opposed to the internal wifi on the N7 2012 which technically can do monitor mode, but not with Nethunter.

I have a 2012 N7 and the TP Link WN722N works technically but i get mon0 channnel -1 errors so wifite wont work and tcpdump yeilds nothing have you had this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by S3R1A7 View Post
    I have a 2012 N7 and the TP Link WN722N works technically but i get mon0 channnel -1 errors so wifite wont work and tcpdump yeilds nothing have you had this problem?
    Wifite creates mon0 in monitor mode on the 2013 FLO wifi-only N7 model. Try launching Wifite manually from the command line Kali menu instead of the button directly on the launcher interface then . use Regular Wifite in the Kali cli menu and let it start scanning. Hit the bottom right soft APPS button and starting another instance of the Kali launcher and using option one to launch Kali in a terminal. then do: root@kali~# tcpdump -i mon0 -v. Do you get anything in tcpdump printed to screen after this? Green light on the TP -link illuminated and even blinking now?
    I had a defective OTG cable and after doing this ^ and it failing; switched it out, and the above all worked perfectly and finally.

tcpdump not producing when locked to interface is pretty rare. what other errors can you duplicate?

Running TCPDUMP gets data now after update. However I still get a fixed channel -1 on the mon mode of aircrack and wifite. so after I select my network to attack all of the attack methods fail because in aircrack you get a error channel -1 this is only bypassed by using the tag --ignore-negative-one which can not be implemented on wifite except by editing the .py file which I am not going to do because I am not sure how to do it on a tablet, and I'm not very versed in compiling python yet. The TP Link 722N is working because the light comes on on Mon mode. I have used other wifi USBs and had the same result I'm not sure how to get around this because Its kind of making it no fun. Doing everything from command line on a soft keyboard is not very good.... any suggestions?

I wrote, <i>"Just in case it <b>IS</b> true, I have ordered the TP-LINK TL-WN722N. Am I going to need a special cable to connect this device?"</i>

outofbounds wrote, <i>"You can also get a Y OTG cable that will allow you to charge your Nexus 7 while using the USB adapter."</i>

I definitely had to order a special cable -- the TL-WN722N has a male USB port, and the Nexus 7 only has a Micro USB slot.

I found this to be helpful:

SANOXY USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Male OTG On-The-Go Cable Adapter for Samsung Galaxy s2 i9100
    $1.30 & FREE Shipping
    http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Female-...dp/B005GI2VMG/

And for a USB Power Cable Y Splitter:

Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 4 5 6 7 9 10
    $1.75 & FREE Shipping
    http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Po...dp/B00CXAC1ZW/